I'm still working out the interfacing. With the solution to the dreaded /tmp problem (I just posted the solution), I'm well on my way.
Basically, my integration is probably more extensive than is needed. My solution is set up so that a person who registers in Mambo is registered in pLog (including the creation of a default blog to get them going). The blog is given a simple, generic title ("Blog of [UserID]") which of course can be changed upon login.
Also, my solution cross posts between pLog and Mambo. Blogs/posts are entered into Mambo's tables as news items, which a webmaster can then publish however desired on Mambo pages. However, due to the power of Smarty, this really isn't necessary, as a Mambo administrator could simply create a static page (using the wonderful PHP bot available at Mambobrothers.com) and a simple include
statement. The caveat here is that, as I learned, you SHOULD (and probably MUST to be safe) create the proper PHP and template files to get this to work with Mambo for various reasons (especially relative pathways!)
As I said earlier, I finally worked out the issues I was facing, and now it's just a matter of some style sheet alterations to fix the aesthetics. I even have pLog's login form working from within Mambo.
I'm sorry about the delay in getting up a working demo. I'm doing a business site, and I've GOT to get that done first before I can set this all up.
So far, this has been a GREAT learning experience, well worth the occasional headache.
If you want to see the code I used for passing information between the Mambo and pLog tables, just let me know.