How to update, NOT install and lose everything!

How to update, NOT install and lose everything!

Postby ohmster on Sun May 31, 2015 8:06 pm

EDIT:
I got a Godaddy hosting consultant to move the blog over manually. The only file changed was config.properties.php. $config['db_host'] = was changed to "localhost". It is working 99% at it's new host but the path is a bit different with the new Godaddy hosting arrangement of this being a sub-domain. Everything works but Admin cannot log in, I get the following error when I enter username and password:

Fatal error: Call to a member function FetchRow() on a non-object in /home/jboutrouille/public_html/jeanclaudearts.com/lifetype/class/dao/userdata/baseuserdataprovider.class.php on line 109

* This could be a path error but I have no idea of where to look to correct this. The brilliant hosting consultant thinks maybe the database is missing some tables. (The original still exists and is accessible.) She wrote me back from her cellphone, she is off work now. Can you help? Blog is here:

http://jeanclaudearts.com/lifetype/

Thank you!

Dear jondaley,

If you look down the list only a couple of posts, my last question about this blog was in 2013. I pray to GOD that you are still around to help with this. I have a client who absolutely LOVES this blog and has over 5 years worth of stuff to hang on to. He recently had to move his hosting from GoDaddy Economy Linux Hosting to Deluxe Linux Hosting with cPanel and that means the entire website is uploaded to a totally new server. GoDaddy DOES have an import feature to import the existing LifeType blog into the new hosted site. However, it refuses to work because the version is out of date. The Import feature will only work for LifeType Version: 1.2.12.

I checked the current version:
The current version of Lifetype is up to date.
LifeType
The currently installed version of LifeType is:
lifetype-1.2.10_r6967

Not up to date, I need Version: 1.2.12.
File check reveals many altered files, due to configuration I would think. This blog has been updated by hand many years ago. I cannot find anything on this site for updating an existing, populated blog and need instructions or an update package. Can you please, please help me with this? This is my very best client and if I lose his blog in the transfer, he will be very, very disappointed. I may lose my best client. Please help!
--
Sincerely,
Paul Baio
Last edited by ohmster on Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
ohmster

LifeType Version: lifetype-1.2.10_r696

Re: How to update, NOT install and lose everything!

Postby jondaley on Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:58 am

With your two edits to the original post, I'm not sure what the status is now.

You can't find instructions for an upgrade from 1.2.10 to 1.2.12, because there aren't really any. You just unzip the new zip file...

Probably the best way is to move your original blog directory somewhere else, unzip the new file, and then copy over the relevant parts that you care about. (a template directory - though the blog is currently using the "standard" template - is that correct, or is that due to the GoDaddy import?) Move any plugins that you installed (and might as well check if there are new versions of those while you are at it). And then config/config.properties.php.

I don't know how the GoDaddy system works, but if it were regular hosting where you had installed LifeType on your own, you would simply copy the database from your old server, unzip the install file on the new server, and put in your plugins, templates, and config file, and you should be all set.

I've updated your email address in our system.
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

LifeType Version: 1.2.11 devel branch

Postby ohmster on Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:07 am

Jon,

Thanks for updating my email address.

Disregard the bottom Edit. I was viewing files in Windows via mounted network Linux share. I could not see the .htaccess files before because Windows hides hidden files by default. The edit is removed and non relevant. The current status is listed below. Let me answer your questions first because I really need your help.

The blog was a "regular install" at Godaddy a very long time ago. I did some manual updates years ago, open such and such file, find this string, copy and paste this in the file over the string, save file. Repeat with next file, over and over again. Brrrrrrrrr!

The Godaddy hosting consultant Heather (This woman is brilliant! ...like you of course!) zipped up the lifetype folder on the old host, unzipped it to the new host, and imported the database. She made me edit config.properties.php and change db_host to "localhost" and like magic, the blog was back!

I replied to your email with some login data for the admin panel. If you need to see and work with the files to find out what is going on, I can give you SSH access to the root and path to the blog w/out compromising the client's account. Then you would have a nice, open Linux terminal right to the machine. I use PuTTY and it works great! Email back for SSH information. I am trying to be helpful because I do not know how to troubleshoot php blogs or databases on my own.

I did edit my original post, what I need most is for it to work completely, I can update later. The blog IS working very well but I cannot authenticate Admin login. If you enter garbage for user/pass, it clearly tells you the user/pass is incorrect. But if you enter real login information, you get the Fatal Error shown below. Here is the relevant edit:

EDIT:
I got a Godaddy hosting consultant to move the blog over manually. The only file changed was config.properties.php. $config['db_host'] = was changed to "localhost". It is working 99% at it's new host but the path is a bit different with the new Godaddy hosting arrangement of this being a sub-domain. Everything works but Admin cannot log in, I get the following error when I enter username and password:

Fatal error: Call to a member function FetchRow() on a non-object in /home/jboutrouille/public_html/jeanclaudearts.com/lifetype/class/dao/userdata/baseuserdataprovider.class.php on line 109

* This could be a path error but I have no idea of where to look to correct this. The brilliant hosting consultant thinks maybe the database is missing some tables. (The original still exists and is accessible.) She wrote me back from her cellphone, she is off work now. Can you help? Blog is here:

http://jeanclaudearts.com/lifetype/

Thank you!
ohmster

Postby jondaley on Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:20 am

I'm not sure why you would have had to do manual updates? Were you customizing the core code?

Probably the easiest way to move forward is for you to get me an ssh login (I can work a ton faster if I have ssh rather than just a web-based file manager, or FTP).

There are some significant changes from 1.2.10 to 1.2.12, so I think it would be good to upgrade.
http://bugs.lifetype.net/changelog_page.php
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

Postby jondaley on Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:29 am

The FetchRow error you are getting can't happen unless you have bad data in the database (or maybe corrupt data in the tmp directory?) You could try erasing all of the files and directories in tmp, other than the .htaccess file. The cache_** directories are the most important to erase.
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

Postby ohmster on Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:46 pm

Oh boy, cleaning out the tmp directory really tanked the interface. Now there is nothing but error code. Not sure what to do here. Still have a copy of the the blog but only thing changed is empty tmp folder.

I send you SSH, HTTP, and FTP access if you find a moment to look at it Jon. You are brilliant and a very decent man. If you don't know what is wrong, no one will. I am totally lost now as websites and html I can do all day but databases and php I never to introduced to and to me, it is a big mystery.

Thank you Mr. Daley.
ohmster

Postby ohmster on Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:07 pm

Clearing out the temp folder really gave me my first real hint as to what was wrong. I got no more interface and a ton of error messages. Only the first line was important:

Code: Select all
Table 'jea0925108523328.lt_config' doesn't exist

Easy enough to check, I looked in phpmyadmin at the tables and for sure, that table did not exist. The tables stopped at the letter "B". Nearly 75% of the database was cut off. Getting a Godaddy hosting agent to assist with restoring the database properly restored the blog. It is working well now, so far.

You were right on the money, Jon. Clear out the temp but the real issue is the database. Thank you very much! :D
ohmster

Postby ohmster on Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:30 pm

jondaley wrote:With your two edits to the original post, I'm not sure what the status is now.

You can't find instructions for an upgrade from 1.2.10 to 1.2.12, because there aren't really any. You just unzip the new zip file...

Probably the best way is to move your original blog directory somewhere else, unzip the new file, and then copy over the relevant parts that you care about. (a template directory - though the blog is currently using the "standard" template - is that correct, or is that due to the GoDaddy import?) Move any plugins that you installed (and might as well check if there are new versions of those while you are at it). And then config/config.properties.php.

I don't know how the GoDaddy system works, but if it were regular hosting where you had installed LifeType on your own, you would simply copy the database from your old server, unzip the install file on the new server, and put in your plugins, templates, and config file, and you should be all set.

I've updated your email address in our system.

Jon,

You know in all of this discussion, I never got to update the blog. Because it was intensive and time consuming, I stopped doing it for the client years ago. Now I must take this opportunity to copy and save your instructions now that I have them, if, they are correct. Is this essentially correct? The title of this thread will no doubt bring others here wanting update information. At the very least, we do owe them that much, and I would like to be sure myself. :roll:

jondaley wrote:Probably the best way is to move your original blog directory somewhere else, unzip the new file, and then copy over the relevant parts that you care about. (a template directory - though the blog is currently using the "standard" template - is that correct, or is that due to the GoDaddy import?) Move any plugins that you installed (and might as well check if there are new versions of those while you are at it). And then config/config.properties.php.

This actually seems to make sense but some questions if I may.

I will move my entire blog directory elsewhere, i.e.: 'mv blog blog-back', then 'mkdir blog', then unzip new blog into blog folder. Now this will not actually "install it" but open up all the necessary files. Copying back config/config.properties.php will allow this new updated blog to connect to the database and actually "work". (Assuming the permissions are preserved in the zip file.)

Yes standard template, I did not use the Godaddy installer. Move plugins, that means the entire plugins folder, overwrite any existing files, Y/N?

If I do not use "custom templates", is it not necessary to move overwriting the templates folder?

And that's it? Because config/config.properties.php is moved back, the blog will connect and work? What about any images or things posted, are they all in the database so nothing of relevance is stored in the actual lifetype blog directory but for config/config.properties.php?

I guess that is it man. If you can answer these few questions, I think I am good to go. You know, this question has to be answered once and for all so this might as well be as good a time as any. Thanks Jon, and special thanks for the advice. :)
ohmster

Postby jondaley on Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:26 pm

Yes, that is correct when upgrading "minor" versions - ie. only the third digit is changing. And don't forget any plugins you might have installed. You can also use the upgrade packages on sourceforge, which also only contain thefiles that have changed between versions. So, in your case, you would need the 1.2.10 -> 1.2.11 file, and then the 1.2.11 -> 1.2.12 file.

If you just download the full 1.2.12 version, you will need to erase wizard.php without running it, since the wizard is only for changing "major" versions, ie. 1.1.x to 1.2.x.

And for completeness, just in case there is anyone still running pLog 1.0, which probably don't exist, you can't upgrade from 1.0 to 1.2, but have to upgrade to 1.1 first (and you should use the highest minor version (which if I'm remembering correclty, it is 1.1.6).

For plugins, I believe the latest version of LifeType comes with the csrf plugin installed by default, and you will likely want to keep that one (there are one or two plugins that aren't compatible with csrf (moderate is one that I know of, and it mostly works, just some of the buttons don't).

Lastly, if you are one of the minority of people who are using a non-standard userdata plugin, or a special caching settings (all of this in the config directory), you will need to copy (and possibly modify) other files in /config/
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

Postby ohmster on Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:04 am

Thank you Jon for putting it right here in print, "How to update, NOT install and lose everything!".

This question I am sure comes up a lot. At least for those using LifeType. And it really *is* a wonderful blogging platform, if you ask me. Just difficult for ordinary users to install, update, and maintain w/out serious Linux and maybe php and MySQL experience. It is sweet, though. If you had the binary and GUI coders to update LifeType, it would be better than WordPress. Even WordPress knows enough to use you as a consultant to make the blog as good as it is. Maybe WordPress is not your baby, but you are responsible to help make the wheels go 'round on it. :D

The spam catcher is working a treat, stomping out every bit of spam. Using the latest versions of akismet and hiddeninput. That is a very good anti-spam plugin. I just updated the plugins today, they were trapping spam years before I was called in to move the blog. The spam that was trapped did build up to 7 Mb worth. The owner/user is not very good about purging it for good. I did it for him as part of the job.

That about wraps it up. Thanks for your help and goodnight! :P
ohmster

Return to Configuration and Installation