jondaley wrote:It sounds like your FTP client is modifying the files as it uploads them - perhaps it is changing the line endings from windows to linux or something? If you transfer the files as binary, it will probably leave them alone.
I agree. I went so far as to completely delete the class directory and all of it's subs, then uploaded my 1.2.10 files, and when I do a version check, I get tons of errors. Then when I FTP in and compare local to remote, they are NOT the same! I gotta show you a picture of this because it is so unbelievable and CuteFTP Pro is Great software! But it is not configured the way I want, I can tell as it goes in and out of PASV mode, and I do not want for it to do that in the middle of such a transaction such as mirroring directories and sites. As a matter of fact, this is so amazing that I have to show it to you. I will give you a side by side picture of one of the class files that do not match, yet they came from the same source! The only think I can think of is that perhaps since the blog is still online and live, some files could not be overwritten or deleted because they were in use. That might explain it. Anyway, here is a perfect example of what happened after I deleted the entire class directory and then uploaded it again.
The files do not match! WTF??!! Maybe if I change the name of the LifeType root folder temporarily that will stop anyone from using it while file transfer is in progress and I can try again. I can also reconfigure my FTP program to be a bit more strict and it does have a "check and compare files after transfer" feature that I do not enable by default because it takes too long. I don't want to mess with this all night tonight, I have surgery scheduled for Friday super early in the morning and need my rest but I can do this and see what happens. Okay lifetype directory now renamed to lifetype_bak. The blog is officially offline. Try transfer again.
Okay, I am doing this again, with CuteFTP Pro 8, this time I configured it a bit more tightly. We will use PORT connection only, no PASV, we will mirror remote drive to match local class drive and all of it's subs. We will use CRC check to make sure all files really do match, we will do a complete mirror, even to the extent of deleting files that do not exist in the local folder. We have renamed the lifetype folder to make the blog inaccessible to the world while we work on it. What I am using for a local LifeType folder set is the unzipped contents of lifetype-1.2.10.zip. This may take a while, it usually does because the class directory and all subs is pretty large and contains LOTS of files, but that is where the version differences show up. I really do not want to see any red files in the version check page anymore. The two template files, the commentform and admin header template I have already replaced with originals so this final class directory mirror should do the trick and I will be amazed if it fails this time.
Wow, we are done. Okay, here goes the acid test. Restore the lifetype directory name and do a version check on all files.
Heh heh, now THIS is worth a look!
Thanks for your help Jon. One day I hope to understand exactly what the f*ck that hidden input does, how it should look, and if it is working or not. I would also really like to know what a "Trackback" is. Goodnight for now, time to get some rest.
(The above URL is what my Linux server is for, or at least one of the things I use it for. PPW is hosted on my local machine with a very broadband comcast connection.)