pages

pages

Postby Ishmell on Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:02 pm

Being able to create pages would be really great to have.
Ishmell

LifeType Version: 1.2.8

Re: pages

Postby jondaley on Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:24 am

I've never really used WP, though I've seen the backend from time to time when writing plugins for it. What does one use "pages" for? An "about me" or "contact" page?

How do they work as far as RSS feeds go? They are effectively undated, right? So I'd guess they never enter the RSS feed?

In LifeType's world, (and assuming custom URLs - the rest are more trivial) the URL would be something like: http://blogname.domain.com/pages/<whatever-you-want>?

Do the pages use any templating, or are they completely blank before you add content? ie. would you always want the header, footer, sidebar? Maybe the blog template could include a pages.template that all pages would use, and the template would be fairly bare, and the rest of the content would come from the TinyMCE editor when creating the page?

Do the pages show up on the "main page" or in a category or anything like that? Or do they only work if you directly link to them from the sidebar, or in posts?

Does anything need to be added to the TinyMCE editor to create the pages, or if you could simply write your HTML/content in there, would you be happy?
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

LifeType Version: 1.2.11 devel branch

Postby Ishmell on Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:19 pm

Hello,
Thank you for your reply and questions. I will gladly answer them because having a page feature with it would be something that would be put in allot of use in my case. That's pretty much the only thing holding me back from fully using lifetype. I am also quite experience when it comes with working with wordpress.

One uses pages to display custom content not in a blog form. So for example if someone wanted to make an about us or me page and contact us or me page...etc

Normally there would be no RSS feed for pages, but I do believe there are mods out there for wp that sends out info about the page every time its updated. But in my case I wouldn't want any RSS feed. So if you were to have it made for pages it should be an option that's switchable in the admin.

For myself I know I would prefer http://bogname.domain.com/<page name here>, but yes for lots of cms's they have it as you typed.

As for templates, most cms's have pages use the main template for the site that's activated. So w/e template the user has setup, that's the one the pages would have to.

Yes there would normally be a sidebar section for pages. As for creating/editing page an advanced tinymce editor would work best. One where you can edit the source (a.k.a html) which supports backgrounds, tables, images, fonts...the whole shebang, so users can really customize the content inside pages to however they see fit.

Normally pages would show up in the sidebar of the site template. The pages would use the site template so you would always see the sidebar no matter which page someone was on.

Like stated earlier... if I was able to work with backgrounds, tables, images, fonts and just edit the source of the html I would be very happy.

Also another thing that I think Lifetype should get is a static page with a multi blog system. The multi blog system is where people can create an account and create blogs for themselves (which becomes www.subdomains.site.com or www.site.com/folders). They would also be able to join other blogs within that place and all the blogs that the user joined would be displayed in a certain area (it can be a specific page or something). As for static page, its basically an option in the admin panel that can make a default page for any created blog using that installation instead of the mainpage for the blog. For example:// I made a page called "Homepage" and the content on it was "You Can Edit This", as the static page. When someone creates a blog using the multi blog system, the only page they would have is that Homepage with that content on it until they make there own ones.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. If anything comes up money wise, I would be glad to support your work that way.
Ishmell

Postby jondaley on Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:28 am

For your static page comment - that is simply replacing the "congratulation, your first post" or whatever we currently set it to?

I didn't really follow how you think the page feature should work - perhaps you are saying you want to have some different options on what it would look like - that some pages might want to have the header, footer and sidebar, but other ones might want a plainer page, with more options to edit more of the HTML themselves?
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

Postby chromos on Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:20 am

wordpress pages can be thought of as custom made template files like e.g. an about.template without having to upload a new file.

It's a nice to have imho and would make it a lot easier to use lifetype as a CMS.

Unfortunately IIRC what i read in the wiki lifetype is not meant to be yet another CMS ...

Citation:
Not just a blog

WordPress.com has a feature called “pages” which allows you to easily create web pages. For example, you could add an “about me” page with your biography, and a link to that page would be automatically added to your sidebar. You can even create an entire web site using pages on WordPress.com, with a custom home page and your blog as one of the sub-pages.
chromos

LifeType Version: 1.2.9-devel

Postby jondaley on Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:46 pm

I partially agree about it not being a CMS, though since I use LT for a number of sites as a CMS, I guess I can't totally agree with that statement.

I wouldn't want it to take priority of the blog, but people do request the "pages" feature from time to time, so worth looking into, at least.

What I am trying to figure out is if people want a completely blank page, or if they want it partially templated - it seems to me that you would want it partially templated, so you don't have to write *all* of the HTML yourself.

It also seems that you probably want to be able to write in smarty code, which then you could include the header.template, etc. to do the templating part.

Allowing smarty would then have to be restricted by the admin (if he wanted) since it would allow for more customization of the pages, and the admin might not want that in all circumstances, but we could either add a permission for that, or else use the same permission as the template editor, since it is a similar sort of issue.
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

Postby Ishmell on Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:31 am

Smarty code would be a pretty good idea. But what im mostly thinking about is having an outer shell (the sites template) for every page and people could fully html customize anything inside it. So they could add there own little html templates n stuff inside the outer shell (the sites template).
Ishmell

Return to Requests and Suggestions