Notification if a new version of lifetype is released

Notification if a new version of lifetype is released

Postby Sonya* on Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:10 am

Hello,

Is it any possibility to be notificated if a new version of lifetype is released? I subscribed to board "Announcements" but no topic about 1.2.8 has been placed there. It's very important to be informed about new releases especially if security issues are fixed. Is there any other possibility to be informed just in time?

Thank you.
Sonya
Sonya*

Re: Notification if a new version of lifetype is released

Postby jondaley on Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:01 am

There is a subscribe button on the sourceforge releases. That is the best way to be notified. 1.2.8 wasn't announced all that well, because there are really more security issues, and fixing just the one in 1.2.8 wasn't all that interesting. When 1.2.9 is released, there will be an announcement. The front page of lifetype.net is also a good place to check, if you have RSS, almost all posts on that site are release announcements.
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

LifeType Version: 1.2.11 devel branch

Postby Sonya* on Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:17 am

Thank you for your quick answer.
jondaley wrote:There is a subscribe button on the sourceforge releases.

I was looking for the subscribe button on http://sourceforge.net/projects/lifetype/ and did not find any subscription button. Can you give a direkt link to it?

jondaley wrote: 1.2.8 wasn't announced all that well, because there are really more security issues, and fixing just the one in 1.2.8 wasn't all that interesting.

A "small security fix" can save your installation as well :) I do not see any reason to keep secret even about small releases.

jondaley wrote: if you have RSS, almost all posts on that site are release announcements.

No, I do not have RSS, mostly working on different PCs I have no possibility to install RSS viewer and thus have only access to my mails. Is there any possibility to get RSS news as mails?
Sonya*

Postby jondaley on Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:14 am

The release was hardly kept "secret", it was posted in various places. In some cases I would agree that even a small security fix is important, however, this one really makes no difference, unless the attacker is really, really dumb.

Link to the subscribe button: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... p_id=83964 Click on the "monitor" button. You'll have to either login with a sourceforge login, or sign in with an openid, though I think I tried sourceforge's openid with lifetype's openid, and I couldn't get it to work.

RSS to email - I'd suspect there are plenty of RSS readers that can email you when there are updates.
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

LifeType Version: 1.2.11 devel branch

Postby Sonya* on Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:47 pm

Thank you for your help!
Sonya*

Return to Requests and Suggestions