Setting tmp, gallery, config.properties.php in wizard.php

Setting tmp, gallery, config.properties.php in wizard.php

Postby Zrooney on Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:05 am

I'm more than likely only requesting this because I'm currently having some level of annoyance with my current and unavoidable hosting situation (I'm going to have to use it regardless), but, I figured I'd give it a shot. :D

Would it be possible to be able to define the locations of tmp, gallery, and config.properties.php within the wizard.php dialogue in some way, perhaps as a first step? I can already see issues as to why that would be difficult to do, but, it doesn't seem to be outside the realm of possibility. Even if it's just a matter of doing a direct edit to the PHP script which is commented to show you where you need to put the values in before running the wizard script, it'd be a huge help.

I only ask because, in the current hosting solution I'm stuck dealing with, PHP scripts can only write in a folder that is one level above the document root. (There's a folder called htdocs for the document root, and one called php-data in which scripts have write access.) I can appreciate the logic behind this setup, it's just something of a headache.

The problem is that I've been having a heck of a time trying to install lifetype, since I'm not sure I'm catching all the references to these locations in wizard.php and elsewhere in the application, and I dread having to figure out the table structure, etc. to do some sort of manual install and hack to find all the references to these directores.

...err, just thought I'd give this a shot. It might make things easier on people who are dealing with hosts that are relatively locked down like this, although, I imagine this is sort of a rare case.
Zrooney

Re: Setting tmp, gallery, config.properties.php in wizard.php

Postby jondaley on Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:26 pm

Can you try symlinks? I haven't ever tried that before, but it seems like it might work.
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

LifeType Version: 1.2.11 devel branch

Postby Zrooney on Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:02 am

It doesn't appear I have the permissions to set up symlinks in this space. :roll:

Don't worry too much about this feature request, it's probably more or less a symptom of frustration. Although, it seems that, since it's possible to redirect the locations of gallery and tmp through the admin interface after the install, it might be convenient to be able to do so beforehand. I don't mean to be a jerk about this though. I appreciate your help and patience. :D
Zrooney

Postby jondaley on Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:15 pm

I guess the only problem (besides technical, I haven't thought about what it would look like to set the tmp directory during the wizard) is that it makes the installation more complicated. i.e. people aren't sure if they should set the tmp directory or something, and then permission issues, etc. It would be nice to have some sort of easy installation, and then a more complex one or something for people who need more interesting things or something like that.

I don't know what that would look like. It would be nice to lower the bar to install lifetype - that's a pretty common complaint about LT - that it is too hard for beginning users.
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

LifeType Version: 1.2.11 devel branch

Return to Requests and Suggestions