Move Items Needed After Install Out of Install Folder

Move Items Needed After Install Out of Install Folder

Postby GrayGhost on Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:27 am

Hello again! :)

I have noticed that several administration functions, such as the File Version Check, use files in the install folder.

My situation is a bit different than most because I have both LifeType and phpBB installed in the same directory. The complication comes in that for security reasons, phpBB will not run if a folder named install is found.

So it would be nice if only files used during the install process were found in the install folder, and files that may be needed later on be moved elsewhere. That way, the install folder could be totally removed after the install.

Thanks!
GrayGhost

Postby jondaley on Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:01 am

Please report this at bugs.lifetype.net, we should probably erase the install directory (or at least not check it once the wizard is finished).
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

LifeType Version: 1.2.11 devel branch

Postby phunkphorce on Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:20 am

But I don't see how it could be our problem that you're runinng phpbb in the same folder as LT. We need that folder and that's the way it is, why don't you move phpbb or LT to their own folder? I don't mean to be picky, but we really can't care about every single package that may or may not be installed alongside LT...
phunkphorce
Lifetype Expert

Postby jondaley on Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:47 pm

I do agree about that part - that it seems odd to install two programs in the same directory - sounds like asking for trouble to me - some application might assume it knows what is going on, and changes files in a directory called "tmp" or "gallery" or "templates", etc. and since the directory is actually used by the other application bad things would happen.

Can you explain why you need both applications installed in the same directory, and what are your URLs for each of the applications?
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

LifeType Version: 1.2.11 devel branch

Postby GrayGhost on Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:20 pm

I won’t put the request into the system if you don’t want phunkphorce. If your answer to the request is “no” then that is 100% fine with me. I am just grateful that you guys have created this software in the first place, and that you are willing to listen to requests.

This is simply a request that I thought you might consider since having files necessary after the install in a folder called install is somewhat atypical. I realize that the folder is needed and the files are needed, but I am guessing that the exact name “install” is not, especially since the included files are files necessary for more than just the install. And this is not every single package that I am requesting this for, but rather compatibility with just one package that you specifically include integration support for by default with your own package. :)

I have actually been running it this way for a long time, since before 1.0.6. You have been very kind in providing methods for renaming/moving the gallery, tmp, and templates folder as well as renaming the index.php, so it has not been a problem. I love it. And gallery and tmp were easily moved outside of the web root so they didn't even exist in the same directory at all. Well, gallery was able to be moved out of the web root until a decision was made to sacrifice security for speed, but it can at least still be renamed. This is not your fault or problem I suppose, but unfortunately too many shared hosting solutions force people to run a folder 777 in order to make it writable by the script. And other than a bug where the templates folder was hard-coded into one of the files (which is easily edited and fixed), it has worked great. To tell the truth, I have been very pleased with LifeType and running it this way.

I have simply been deleting the install folder anyway. It doesn't seem to affect daily administration functions anyway. Just a few things here and there that are merely a minor annoyance for the most part. I can always throw the install folder back up on my FTP, should I need it. And if I wanted to, I supposed I could use a coded editor to search through all the files and alter all references to the install folder to change the name myself. So this is really a very low priority, exceptionally minor, teeny tiny little request that I thought might be considered in future versions. ;)

I would be more than happy to explain why I have it this way. What I am currently doing is having the members be able to go to http://username.domain.com for their blogs, and http://www.domain.com or http://domain.com goes to my forum portal page. The use of an htaccess file with a httpd.conf wildcard entry makes this work very well.

However, if there is a more elegant way to do this on a shared hosting solution, I would be ecstatic, but this is the only working solution I have at the moment. I am, as always, open to suggestions.

Thanks!
GrayGhost

Postby phunkphorce on Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:20 am

We should implement this request, if only because of your well argumented request and politeness :) (we should see more of that here!)

You can at least log the request via Mantis and we'll see what we can do.
phunkphorce
Lifetype Expert

Return to Requests and Suggestions