LifeType 1.3?

LifeType 1.3?

Postby tszming on Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:16 am

Seems LT 1.3 will add a lot of features, such as pgsql support, SSO, friends list etc...

well, they are all nice features, but shouldn't some of these features should be implemented as plugins and make the core as clear as possible?

also, to me, some features will be more important than others, such as Tags support.

personally, i think it would be a little bit late if LT need to roll out all features at once at Q3, maybe can try implement some important features such as tag support at 1.2.5 or even release tags support as a plugin (similar to WP)?

:D
tszming

Postby phunkphorce on Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:01 pm

Although development of LT 1.3 has already started, I have to admit that I don't have any of those features in mind... When we decided that 1.2 was feature complete, I just updated the roadmap document in the wiki to move all that hadn't been developed in 1.2 to 1.3 but I still don't agree with some of those features. SSO and tags are nice, but as a blogger I have never had a need for them and they haven't been requested enough yet. The only thing I feel like working on is support for pgsql and somebody else will integrate the friends list.

Regarding plugins or core features, the problem is that by implementing things as a plugins sometimes they feel disconnected from the rest of the application. It is fine for smaller things but something like a friends list, in the opinion of the development team, should be implemented in the core.
phunkphorce
Lifetype Expert

Postby jondaley on Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:02 pm

Are you volunteering? :)
My guess is that anything that is tagged for 1.3 release is probably pretty soft, though I have been wanting to take a look at pgsql support myself lately.
Probably some of them will be plugins, but some features require some core changes in order to work properly.
I was thinking about tags the other day - I guess I am too old to understand it or something - what is the difference between categories and tags?
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

LifeType Version: 1.2.11 devel branch

Postby tszming on Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:38 pm

phunkphorce wrote:Regarding plugins or core features, the problem is that by implementing things as a plugins sometimes they feel disconnected from the rest of the application.

yes i do agree with that. but i afraid that put too much things in the core will slow down the development of LT eventually, maybe become performance bottomneck etc :D

by the way, in the current 1.3 trunk, I found the goolgle map integration, what do you want to do with that? want to link up location with each blog, article, resources? sound interesting! can each item has more than one locations being mapped?
tszming

Postby tszming on Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:55 pm

jondaley wrote:Are you volunteering? :)

i am thinking abt in adding the following functions in my project:

1. Tags support

2. Advanced search function, e.g. search within users article cat, global cat, global article cat, by user, by user comments etc.

3. Google map integration (I can found this in the trunk, so I want to know your opinion, what do you want to achieve with google map?

I don't want to overlap with your development efforts, so I want to know more abt your opinion in these functions.

tszming

Postby phunkphorce on Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:51 pm

One of the main features in LT 1.3 will be integration with Google Maps so that things like posts, blogs and files/resources can be tagged with location data. If you think about it, the possibilities are endless ("show me all the pictures I took in Greece", "show me all blogs that are geographically close to me", etc) I'm personally quite excited about this feature :)

And the best thing is that it is all mostly working, it just needs some polish...
phunkphorce
Lifetype Expert

Postby tszming on Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:17 pm

phunkphorce wrote: If you think about it, the possibilities are endless ("show me all the pictures I took in Greece", "show me all blogs that are geographically close to me", etc) I'm personally quite excited about this feature :)

yes, but can a post or resource related to more than one locations? :D
tszming

Postby phunkphorce on Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:05 pm

In our implementation, it can't. And it won't :)
phunkphorce
Lifetype Expert

Postby markwu on Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:23 am

Maybe with:

New Feature:
- Friend List
- Private Message
- Group(or Role) Permission.

New System Function:
- Support MySQL replication (Master for "write" and Slave for read). It can reduce the loading of Mysql
- Different Database Adapater (PostgreSQL/ Oracle/ ...)

Mark
markwu
Lifetype Expert

Postby tszming on Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:42 am

markwu wrote:Maybe with:

New Feature:
- Friend List
- Private Message
- Group(or Role) Permission.

New System Function:
- Support MySQL replication (Master for "write" and Slave for read). It can reduce the loading of Mysql
- Different Database Adapater (PostgreSQL/ Oracle/ ...)

Mark

two things which are quite important and i believe they are even more closely related to blogging are:

1. paging - within a post, can user define their own paging which is similar to what mambo provides?

2. cron support - can visitor to you blog trigger some scheduled (i.e. according to time) tasks, such as clear the cache? for example, since the template cache is set to -1, so how can make my post to appear on my blog index exactly on a certain time?

tszming

Postby jondaley on Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:05 am

For 1: Have you seen the paging in 1.1.6 and 1.2? And the other choices you have? I haven't used mambo - what features are you looking for?

For 2: A cronjob by definition is not triggered by a visitor, but by time. I agree that future posts don't work the way they should, which I assume is what you are asking about.
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

Postby tszming on Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:18 am

jondaley wrote:For 1: Have you seen the paging in 1.1.6 and 1.2? And the other choices you have? I haven't used mambo - what features are you looking for?

For 2: A cronjob by definition is not triggered by a visitor, but by time. I agree that future posts don't work the way they should, which I assume is what you are asking about.

i haven't tried 1.1.6 or 1.2 or 1.3 in detail yet :D

what i mean paging is:for a long post, you could divide into many pages, at any point, up to the author. (not comment paging)

yes, consider in web environment, without touching the OS, how would you simulate the cron effect? ...one solution is to let the job to be triggered by visitor who visit your page in the nearest time. e.g. you have a job to be run at 14:30, so the FIRST visitor request your page after 14:30 should trigger that job.

i am working on a forum called discuz, they have a quite good implmentations on these kind of cron functions (with proper caching, the checking could be very efficient)

btw, should we have a 1.3 area in this forum for discussing?

tszming

Postby phunkphorce on Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:23 am

I will rename this forum to "1.3 Development" as soon as 1.2 is out.
phunkphorce
Lifetype Expert

Postby jondaley on Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:07 pm

Yes, we could do the future post thing correctly by checking the time, and clearing the cache when that time expires. It doesn't really have anything to do with cronjobs, that just makes it more confusing.

Am I correct in thinking that the future post thing is the only reason you are wanting the cron job stuff?

I guess the other situation is to regenerate the caches at midnight each day to make the dynamic calendar highlighting work correctly.
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

Postby markwu on Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:30 am

Hi Jon:

I think you can treat the "cronjob" as "pseudo cronjob", like same idea that I did in moblogbatch.php.

It will hook a event check in each http request, and to see is it the time to do some stuff or not.

Hi ming:

But, I just wondering, if we set the cache life time as 86400 secs, when the request hit lifetype, lifetype will check the cache expired or not. If expired, it will regenerate the content ... so, if only for this purpose, we don't need to do anything, just change the parameter is enough.

Or, you mean we can do more things using "pseudo cron" skills?

Mark
markwu
Lifetype Expert

Next

Return to Requests and Suggestions