posting blogs by email

Postby Cat on Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:13 am

So theres no chance to get that plugin before 1.0? :(
Cat

Postby phunkphorce on Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:16 am

well, we'd rather not... the plugin for 0.3.x was rather "hackish" specially with messages with attachments. Some of the work already done in 1.0 will greatly help this plugin and therefore also maintaining it. Besides, we're keeping so many things for 1.0 that it will be a fantastic release :) In the meantime, I'm sure that you users will understand that we'd prefer to wait for a few months instead of releasing something half-baked which in the long run, will only generate problems...
phunkphorce
Lifetype Expert

Postby Cat on Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:23 am

I really liked that feature, and I cant wait to see it live...

// you cant just drop deadly attachments, cant you? :]
Cat

Postby phunkphorce on Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:56 am

actually... I believe attachments is the most interesting thing :) Specially if we can get plog to read them from the message, automatically insert them in the "resource center" and place a link to each one of them in the new post created from the message, don't you think so? :)

In the meantime, you can give your opinion of how this feature should work... at hte moment you have to send an email with a specific format:

Code: Select all
BLOG: your_blog_name
USER: your_user_name
PASSWORD: your_password
TOPIC: your_post_topic

and here goes the text of the message and the attachments...

it's a bit cumbersome sometimes to type all that information, specially if you're on the go or using a mobile phone but I can't see a better way to do it! What do you think?
phunkphorce
Lifetype Expert

Postby Cat on Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:22 am

Honestly, I thought about text-emails only. Features you are mentioning are certanly more sexy but that explains why do you need time to set all that up - I assume its much harder to implement attachment-resources relationship than text-only. Do you maybe have development version which supports text-entries-only?

Mobile phones support? Althought it sounds interesting, I think its stupid. How many sentences can you send via one SMS/MMS? How much time do you need for writing all that via cell phone? IMHO, its waste of time, but Im sure there are people who would dissagree with me. Its true that people have mobile phone much closer to their hands in comparation to computers, but I dont know, simply, it sounds useless to me, from perspective of content quantity/quality. Although, Its certanly good if you wanna publish proverbs :]

Regarding email format, I think its pretty clear. I just dont understand why do you need blog name at all? People tend to use crazy names for their blogs and in case that you set it as case sensitive variable, Im sure that will cause many mistakes. Isnt just user/pass/topic enough? Can you read that from subject while leaving message body purely for messages?
Cat

Postby phunkphorce on Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:00 pm

Cat wrote:Honestly, I thought about text-emails only. Features you are mentioning are certanly more sexy but that explains why do you need time to set all that up - I assume its much harder to implement attachment-resources relationship than text-only. Do you maybe have development version which supports text-entries-only?

the funny thing is that my goal was since the very beginning to make it support attachments :) I'm mainly focusing the blogging over email feature towards mobile users because I'm really interested in moblogging and similar concepts. When you're moblogging, it's not really about how much text you can type but about being able to send pictures, movies and sounds to your blog easily from everywhere.

Mobile phones support? Althought it sounds interesting, I think its stupid. How many sentences can you send via one SMS/MMS? How much time do you need for writing all that via cell phone? IMHO, its waste of time, but Im sure there are people who would dissagree with me. Its true that people have mobile phone much closer to their hands in comparation to computers, but I dont know, simply, it sounds useless to me, from perspective of content quantity/quality. Although, Its certanly good if you wanna publish proverbs :]

well as I said, mobile phones/moblogging was my first and foremost goal when building this feature :) My idea is that if I have access to my email, I probably have also access to a web browser that would allow me to use a much nicer and easier interface to write entries with support for WYSIWYG html instead of typing the contents of my next post as raw text in some email client... In other words, I'm not really interested in saying a lot when I'm on the go but on being able to say at least something.

However, in many cases the only thing connecting me to my blog is my phone and I am really interested in being able to send something funny that I've just seen with perhaps a witty comment or two, and so on. I guess it also helps when your company pays your phone bills and you can use GPRS connections as much as you like :)

But in any case, the fact that the future blog-over-email feature supports attachments doesn't really force you to send attachments... Or does it? :)

Also implementing support for attachments wasn't that difficult at all. There are some native PHP classes that will help to deal with MIME messages and attachments so from that side, there isn't much to do. I'm concerned about releasing this code now because I wouldn't have time to support it. I know it kind of works but due to the lack of testers when I intented to test it some time ago, I decided to put it on hold and currently I am busy working on the next release. But I can assure you that this will for sure be a plugin for next version and that it should be one of the most important ones!

Regarding email format, I think its pretty clear. I just dont understand why do you need blog name at all? People tend to use crazy names for their blogs and in case that you set it as case sensitive variable, Im sure that will cause many mistakes. Isnt just user/pass/topic enough? Can you read that from subject while leaving message body purely for messages?

I think you're right about using the subject for the topic of the post. But regarding the blog name, in plog a user might belong to more than blog at the same time and there has to be a way to decide whether user1 is trying to post to his/her blog "user1's blog 1" or "user1's blog 2". I need to check if there'd be a way to make this parameter at least optional if the user only belongs to one blog.
phunkphorce
Lifetype Expert

Postby Sock on Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:06 pm

Blog: [Title or id]
[Optional: Post: ID] # for editing current posts
Title: [Title] # Titlte of the post
Password: xxx
Content=
blah blah
blah blah
[@more@] # as extended text seperator as usual
more text...
continues on until you get a blank line and period

I think something along the lines of what you put woudl be perfect. I think there should also be more area like:
Password: xxxx
attachments=0-9+
attachement=1
name=xxxx # the filename for verification
category= name|id # the category it would fall into
description=
description continues like regular mail file until you get a

attachment=2
name=xxx
.... and so on.
Sock
Lifetype Expert

smrsh fails

Postby rebelgeek on Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:18 pm

phunkphorce wrote:what I mean by "email aliases" is that you need to add a line similar to this to your /etc/aliases or /etc/mail/aliases file:

moblog: | curl -F - http://yourserver.com/plog/moblog.php

then whatever is sent to moblog@yourserver.com will be forwarded via curl to the moblog.php script. Otherwise I see no way to do it...

I downloaded your plugin and it works if I execute the curl command from a terminal using | curl -F message'<-' http://yourserver.com/plog/moblog.php, but when I send an email to moblog I get a reply from sendmail telling me that smrsh cannot execute a command with a '<' in it. How did you get it to work with sendmail? Thanks.
rebelgeek

Postby phunkphorce on Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:39 pm

You should probably check with your hosting provider, I think smrsh is some sort of restricted shell for sendmail (for security reasons)
phunkphorce
Lifetype Expert

Previous

Return to Requests and Suggestions