How do you insert a video into a LifeType post?

How do you insert a video into a LifeType post?

Postby ohmster on Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:23 pm

This seems like a really dumb question, but for the life of me, I cannot get something that appears so simple to "just work". I want to make a new post with LifeType and include a video in it. So let's say the video is uploaded to youtube, right there on the LifeType new post toolbar, is a link to insert video and it is even named "Youtube". From there you can enter the URL of the video and pick the source such as youtube, dailymotion, google, etc.. But when I do this, I see a yellow square in my new post in the editor that says "youtube" in it, but when I try to preview, the post is blank. If I publish, the post is blank.

You can see from the screencap above that this should be such a simple process that even kids can do it, yet, it does not work. What am I doing wrong? I see nothing in settings or config to disallow posting video files, they are even allowed in the resources settings, but nothing shows or plays. I know that "something" is on the page, Firefox has a plugin called AdBlock and it offers to remove the video from the web page, but no video shows, it is only blank and white.

So what am I doing wrong? Or is there something necessary to add to lifetype to make this work? Some sort of flash files to add on the server, a plugin for it, or anything I can do to make this work? Has *anybody* been able to post a video in a blog with lifetype and if so, how did you do it? There is nothing about this in the documentation, nor can I find much by searching the forums or google on this. Either it "just works" or "nobody cares" so it is not even listed in a google search topic on "how to add video to lifetype blog post". Somebody help me please because this is just plain retarded and should not be this difficult at all to do. Thank you.

NOTE:
I am using a godaddy server for this application and can see that the lifetype directory has permissions of 755 and cannot be changed. I try to change them with CuteFTP Pro but I get a never ending stream of error messages until I stop it or move to another directory. I do not believe that godaddy allows you to set any of your personal html directories (Folders) to allow writing beyond 755. That is write for owner, group and world or anybody else, no. Read and execute only. Does LifeType require the tmp directory it creates to have permission greater than 755 to run? I think I see in the FAQ that some errors can be caused because LifeType requires a temp folder to write in, normally a hidden directory called "./tmp". Since I cannot change the permissions, could this have something to do with it? Lifetype works in every other way normally. What surprises me is that when I use Firefox to use it, I get the fancy toolbar with all the buttons. But in IE, no such toolbar appears. Turn on script debugging and I see a lot of errors about tinymce and permission. Is this of any help with this problem? Can anyone post video in LireType Blog?

~Ohmster
ohmster

LifeType Version: lifetype-1.2.10_r696

SOLVED: Re: How do you insert a video into a LifeType post?

Postby ohmster on Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:25 pm

I solved my own problem and will share it for others who are having this problem.
You need to insert the direct link (URL) to the video on youtube.com into the Insert box, then click on the Youtube radio button. Then click Insert, close, and you can preview and post. It works.

I got the direct URL to the video in Firefox by Right Clicking on the video itself and choosing "Copy Video URL". THAT is what needs to be inserted into the Video URL box. I was using the Share button on Youtube to get the link to the video. This link does not take you directly to the video! It takes you to the youtube video page where a short ad will play, then your video will play immediately after. You are given the choice to skip ad if you like. LifeType blog does not expect to get a link to a webpage where ads play and then your video, it needs a link to the video itself. That is how I did it. It works and it is very easy to do.
ohmster

Re: How do you insert a video into a LifeType post?

Postby jondaley on Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:42 pm

Yeah - I've been wondering if it is better to allow users to use the "share" URL - we originally had the just grab the URL while you are watching it before youtube had so many sharing/embedding options, and it certainly is easy, but people are now used to seeing a "share" button on web pages, and so we should probably allow people to use either.
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

LifeType Version: 1.2.11 devel branch

Postby ohmster on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:53 am

That was rough, Jon. I've always used the share button for Facebook and was so surprised when it did not work. At least Firefox let me grab the URL from the video itself with right click. IE does not even show the bloody toolbar! I was surprised to even get the URL that way. Often you get About Flash Player and options, but the URL to the SWF is never available. I know you are a busy guy and am very happy that you had a moment to stop in. Thanks buddy!
ohmster

Postby eric9066 on Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:34 pm

Does anyone know if iFrame links (as in YouTube or any other website like PBS.org) are supported? When I try to add the iFrame link I get the image as the op put on the first post.
eric9066

LifeType Version: 1.2.11

Postby jondaley on Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:17 am

What do you mean by "iframe link"? Any link to another website will be supported, because it is simply an <a href="...">...</a> But, if you want to do an <iframe...></iframe> I would bet that doesn't work, at least by default. For all of these sorts of errors, you can turn off the security in tinymce to allow whatever tags you want. By default tinymce/lifetype tries to protect you (from yourself, and from others, in the multi-blog scenario).
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

LifeType Version: 1.2.11 devel branch

Postby eric9066 on Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:20 am

jondaley wrote:What do you mean by "iframe link"? Any link to another website will be supported, because it is simply an <a href="...">...</a> But, if you want to do an <iframe...></iframe> I would bet that doesn't work, at least by default. For all of these sorts of errors, you can turn off the security in tinymce to allow whatever tags you want. By default tinymce/lifetype tries to protect you (from yourself, and from others, in the multi-blog scenario).

Ah. Thank you for the clarification. I was not aware this was a security issue. I just notice a lot of sites (i.e. hulu) that allow embedding, use iframe instead of <a href>.
eric9066

LifeType Version: 1.2.11

Return to Other Problems