A few annoyances

A few annoyances

Postby Aquarion on Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:13 am

1. I noticed that Lifetype likes to 'correct' my HTML sometimes.
2. It also likes to correct special characters(eg: ☆), even though they're rendered in HTML entities(eg: ☆), by replacing them with other symbols(eg: ).
3. Lifetype returns errors when I try to add special characters to titles/descriptions of blog posts, images, etc.
4. The same happens when I don't enter a description for images. I was able to bypass this in 1.2.4 by entering whitespace into the description, but it doesn't work anymore.

Any way to fix these problems? They're really starting to bug me.
Aquarion

LifeType Version: 1.2.10

Re: A few annoyances

Postby jondaley on Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:49 am

1. Can you give an example? tinymce is set to enforce strict HTML standards, which are occasionally annoying. (I'm not a big fan of strict HTML, though I do try to write it myself, there are occasional things that all browsers I've ever used understand, so I don't really care if it doesn't perfectly validate. Other people are quite passionate about it, and I do dislike when browsers do crazy unique things, and then make designers accommodate them)

2 and 3. textfilter.class.php is the culprit probably, or maybe kses.class.php. And yes, they're not perfect. I haven't heard of people complaining about special characters before, but it is probably the same issue as the international characters that occasionally people have trouble with.

4. Yes, the validators now actually work, and enforce content for required fields. This is a good thing, as your website is now way more secure than it used to be. However, I agree that some of the "required" fields shouldn't be required. You could change the data/validators/* to allow just spaces or something, but I think it would be a better idea to change the fields that you care about to not be required. And if you gave me an explicit list of the ones that you think shouldn't be required, I would probably take them out. But, you could also do it yourself by looking at the appropriate class/action/admin/admin* files and changing the validation lines (towards the top of the file) to do what you wanted.
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

LifeType Version: 1.2.11 devel branch

Postby Aquarion on Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:37 am

jondaley wrote:1. Can you give an example? tinymce is set to enforce strict HTML standards, which are occasionally annoying. (I'm not a big fan of strict HTML, though I do try to write it myself, there are occasional things that all browsers I've ever used understand, so I don't really care if it doesn't perfectly validate. Other people are quite passionate about it, and I do dislike when browsers do crazy unique things, and then make designers accommodate them)

2 and 3. textfilter.class.php is the culprit probably, or maybe kses.class.php. And yes, they're not perfect. I haven't heard of people complaining about special characters before, but it is probably the same issue as the international characters that occasionally people have trouble with.

4. Yes, the validators now actually work, and enforce content for required fields. This is a good thing, as your website is now way more secure than it used to be. However, I agree that some of the "required" fields shouldn't be required. You could change the data/validators/* to allow just spaces or something, but I think it would be a better idea to change the fields that you care about to not be required. And if you gave me an explicit list of the ones that you think shouldn't be required, I would probably take them out. But, you could also do it yourself by looking at the appropriate class/action/admin/admin* files and changing the validation lines (towards the top of the file) to do what you wanted.

1. I actually can't remember any examples, since this was something else that came to my mind after I posted the other items.
2-3. Is there a way to fix it?
4. I only noticed this happen in file descriptions. Not sure what else. It's the only thing that I use often enough to give me trouble.

Thanks for the response.
Aquarion

Postby jondaley on Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:16 pm

2-3: there are some other posts on the forums for people having trouble with international characters, so you can try searching and see the advice for them. There might not be a way to do it for the "special" characters, though if they are really in HTML entities, it seems like they should be okay. I wonder if it is a combination of tinymce and our textfilter causing the problem. tinymce is on its way to be upgraded, so it probably isn't worth looking into any of its problems.
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

Postby Aquarion on Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:44 pm

So will it be fixed by the time 1.2.11 rolls out?
Aquarion

Postby jondaley on Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:36 pm

Probably not. I just finished up the new insertresource plugin for the new tinymce, and so I just have to get the insertvideo plugin done, and then revisit the CSRF issue, and then 1.2.11 will be ready, I think. I don't think I'll be fixing much else for that release. I'll need to look through bugs.lifetype.net to see what else there is. Someone recently said something about an error in the template editor in IE, though I suppose that is in a plugin anyway, so can be fixed outside of the regular releases.
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

Return to Other Problems