Lifetype will no longer post images to new topics

Re: Lifetype will no longer post images to new topics

Postby ohmster on Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:06 pm

Sorry 'bout getting back to you all so late. I had to take my girlfriend back to her mom's house, she is in the hospital 90 miles away, gotta keep my tiny company's customers happy, etc.

Yeah I did a grep in the lifetype directory and it's subs for tiny_mce and found tons of it, all in the .js stuff. Since I am a hardware guy (Electronic technician 40 years+), I can only go so far with code. I know basic html but php code and all that is way over my head. My customer will be satisfied with a back version of Firefox until lifetype gets a facelift. I will help if you want, I can beta test but need instructions on what to do. I have my own Fedora 13 server with a FQDN, apache, php, mysql and everything necessary to run lifetype and can help test it for you.

I am out of work and could not find a decent job for two months so I started my own LLC and do what I have been doing for the past 5 years, repairing, setup, remove viruses, upgrade hardware and os, setup and administer networks, websites (With blogs), give lessons, etc. I did this about a month ago and already have a few steady customers and have had several bread and butter jobs come to me from friends and word of mouth. I charge a bit more than craigslist but I give soup to nuts treatment and the customers that do use me, never call anyone else. I so want this to work, I am 51 and just cannot start over again working for the man for low wages. Not gonna happen. So this Lifetype issue is very important to me because I have customers that want and use it, they depend on it. You made a darned fine product Jon, and I cannot thank you enough. When my tiny startup can pay it's own bills, I will send a donation to Lifetype. You can bet on that.

I am going to downgrade Jean Claude's Firefox tomorrow morning and he will settle down after that for a while, he lives for that blog, I swear, you got a fan for life, Jon. I get it about the wysiwyg code you are talking about. IE will not even show the toolbar for new posts so Lifetype is pretty useless in IE 8.

I want to thank you all so much for chipping in and helping like this. I was really afraid that the lifetype forum was dead but for Jon and how much can one man do by himself?

Jon, did you find the red website that does not allow anyone at all to send a message because they are spammers?

So what can I do to help? I have a Linux server with all the trimmings on a mega fast cable connection with FQDN, I can install Lifetype and any plugins you want if you tell me how, give you shell access with ssh, ftp, whatever you want. I will help in any way, that is my contribution. This "nightly build", is it a complete installation or a plugin, what is it and can I help with it?

Let me know please so that I can help and get the release code for LifeType as soon as it is ready. Thank you all very much.

Sincerely,
Paul
http://www.paulspcworks.com/
ohmster

LifeType Version: lifetype-1.2.10_r696

Postby martinh on Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:26 am

ohmster:

First backup the tiny_mce.js file. Then open it with an editor and serach for "fixGeckoBaseHREFBug". Edit the code after fixGeckoBaseHREFBug from

:function(m,e,h){var xsrc,xhref;if(tinyMCE.isGecko){if(m==1){h=h.replace(/\ssrc=/gi," mce_tsrc=");h=h.replace(/\shref=/gi," mce_thref=");return h}

to

:function(m,e,h){var xsrc,xhref;if(tinyMCE.isGecko){if(m==1){/*h=h.replace(/\ssrc=/gi," mce_tsrc=");h=h.replace(/\shref=/gi," mce_thref=");*/return h}

You have to paste only /* and */
martinh

LifeType Version: 1.2.11

Postby jondaley on Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:39 am

Yes, Martin's solution is a fine short-term solution, though I think if you have anyone that has an older firefox/gecko browser, then it would break for them. But, if you just have one guy using it, that fix should work fine.

The nightly builds are a complete installation, and can be installed/upgraded like any officially released build.

I upgraded the "more" and "insertaudio" plugins. The insertvideo and insertresource plugins are the next to go, but I won't have any more time for a couple days.

Yes, it is hard to do all this with one person.

Martin asked how he can help - and answering forum posts is an easy way to get started.

The work that needs to be done on LT immediately is javascript, getting those two tinymce plugins working.
If someone had already written a plugin for tinymce that allowed people to insert videos, that'd be great. I saw one youtube plugin that was written for tinymce3 (we need plugins for version 3 - there were major changes from previous releases) but it isn't as good as our current one.

I'd actually like to change the insertvideo plugin to automatically detect what kind of video it is, rather than making the user pick - that should be easy enough.

Also, the new (nightly) version of LifeType can use a CSRF plugin that plugs a security hole, but if you take a look at the conversation on the svn/development mailing list, you will see it isn't completely secure yet.

After that, we're on to version 2.0, and anything that needs to be done on bugs.lifetype.net.
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

LifeType Version: 1.2.11 devel branch

Postby jondaley on Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:42 am

As for hosting and keeping customers happy - I know all about that - I run a small web hosting company myself, and get all sorts of requests that the big companies wouldn't be able to deal with, and my customers are thrilled with my level of service. I like the work, though I seem to be on a once-every-two-years-have-a-crisis schedule, that involves multiple trips to the data center to babysit one of the servers - had some RAM go bad last weekend, and one of the new sticks I purchased was also bad, and that took a while to diagnose properly. I ended up bringing a sleeping bag to the data center, and watching a DVD while I waited to see if the server would like the new RAM.. :)

But, we're back in business, and 4x the RAM that I had last week, and everything looks like it is good.
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

Postby ohmster on Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:24 am

Hello Fellows, Martinh and Jon. First off, I am not a "coder" so I have a difficult time dealing with code and for sure have no experience that would be of help in code development. I wish that were different, but it is not, I'm afraid.

Jon, it is neat to know you do the same things that I do. I just started a tiny LLC company because I cannot get a good job as a TV technician anywhere, anymore, and am at the top of my game. Computers, networks, Linux, upgrades, websites, and all of that comes naturally to me and I have made darned good pocket change over the years doing it on the side. So I went full time with it. I won't be buying a Bentley anytime soon, but I have a steady income from it and love being my own boss for a change. Websites are particularly good and I offer whatever the customer wants. LifeType has been a boon to me because I can work with it and my customers love it.

I "solved" my customer's problem by going to his house, downgrading Firefox to 3.6.7 and un-checking the update feature of Firefox. This will buy time until a version of LifeType is released that will work with modern browsers. I have two questions if I may:

Martin: What will your tiny_mce.js code edit do? Will it make posting work with modern browsers? Is it a short term fix that may not work when browsers update again? (By the way, thank you very much for this.) Would it be better to leave things as they are, working now, until I can update LifeType properly when a modern browser code version comes out?

Jon: What are your nightly builds? If I replace my existing files with a nightly build set, barring the config.properties.php file, will this "fix things" to work with updated browsers or not entirely? What, in your opinion, is my best option here? The last thing I want to do is harass my customer with going to his house and changing his browser all the time. Suggestions? Leave things as they are for the time being, update LifeType with new files, or wait for a LifeType overhaul?

Thanks everybody, you guys got my respect and admiration. I will follow your suggestions when I find out what is best.

By the way, I have a server and can beta test if need be, just ask. Can write documentation and help files too.

Sincerely,
Paul
ohmster

Postby ohmster on Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:51 pm

Just to reiterate, I am not a good coder so I won't be of much help there and do not know enough about LifeType to help answer all but the most basic of forum questions. But, I have a live, online server, can give shell as well as FTP and SSH access for testing. And would not mind testing for you if you need a test subject.

Thanks for all of your help guys. :D

Paul
http://www.paulspcworks.com
ohmster

Postby jondaley on Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:38 pm

Martin's fix will work for new browsers. It won't work for old browsers. So, I can't install it on my blog hosting site, because I have a mix of old and new browsers.
For a one person blog site, it should work fine.

The nightly builds are good for people willing to test. You shouldn't give them to a customer unless I specifically say that a nightly build on a particular day is a good build to give to someone.

I run straight from subversion for my own blog, and so am running the nightly build there, so it is mostly stable. At the moment, everything works fine, except for the image and videos inside tinymce. My wife mentioned that the font is a little small, but mostly, she probably hasn't noticed that I upgraded.
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

Postby h8r on Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:02 pm

I have the same problem. I'm using the latest lifetype version and I can't insert resource files in the post from the wysiwyg editor.
bgwebmast - blog with default lt template goes on SEO competition!
h8r

Postby jondaley on Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:30 pm

You can either use the fix posted above, or the nightly build is getting close (and currently works better than the 1.2.10 release) and I'd love to have testers make sure I didn't miss anything.

The only thing I'm aware of that doesn't work in the nightly build is the insertvideo button.
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

Previous

Return to Other Problems