TinyMCE disappeared

Re: TinyMCE disappeared

Postby jondaley on Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:25 pm

Ok, if those are the only two files modified, I am not too concerned about those, and yes, those are reasonable to be modified.
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

LifeType Version: 1.2.11 devel branch

Postby marcotics on Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:57 pm

I did as i said, uploaded/overwritten everything except the gallery, and the template i use, and the templates/default/commentform.template file.

Problem not solved. Downloaded latest Firefox, cleaned out the cache of LifeType, did a hard refresh, but still no WYSIWYG editor. Used both US and UK locales, no difference.

I really don't understand...

In IE7, it shows an error, something on line 33, caracter 1. It's expecting a string of caracters, id or number.
Firefox is showing a lot of errors, but since my firefox is Dutch, you probably can't make anything out of an screenshot, but i'll post it anyway.
marcotics

LifeType Version: 1.2.11

Postby jondaley on Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:39 pm

I can recognize some of the first ones, and those aren't problems - it just has to do with css/javascript differences among browsers, so there are hacks that some browsers will ignore (and some will complain about errors, but not do anything wrong) and others will use those keys. Unfortunately, until browsers can agree on standards, we'll always have those warnings.

The addToLang sounds like the real problem. It is probably that tinymce doesn't know about dutch, or something like that. I will take a look.
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

Postby jondaley on Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:45 pm

Hrm - does this bug describe your problem?

http://bugs.lifetype.net/view.php?id=1308

It is for the older version of tinymce, but it sure sounds like the same problem.
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

Postby marcotics on Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:36 am

All right. For users experiencing the same problem as me, here is a solution i used and worked. It is a combination of tips from Jon, the bug tracker and some things i did on my own. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

First, go to http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/i18n/index ... ad&pr_id=1 and download your language of TinyMCE.
- this will download a zip file including folders, within these are the files of youre language. Just upload to the js/tinymce folder, you'll see those folders allready excist there, so it will only add your language to it. I don't know if this is really needed, but atleast the editor shows up now, and in my language, and adding files won't harm i guess.

Second, edit js/tinymce/tiny_mce-plog.js
- add to the top: language : "nl", in wich nl in this case means Dutch, fr would mean French etc.
- a few lines below that, you'll see an instance that looks like it, stating languages : 'en', i changed to nl aswell.
- in tiny_mce.js and tiny_mce_src.js i found several instances of the language reference aswell, wich i changed to nl. the excact text is different some times, just search for the text language, and if you find en behind it, change it to youre own language.

After all that, purging the temp folder of lifetype, and using a few CTRL+F5's to make sure everything is fresh, won't harm.

Basicly Jon seems right. It seems all caused by a locale problem. I don't know if it is since this version of tinymce, but this seems to cause problems now.

Only problem i have now, is with the links below the input field, to insert media or the 'More' link. Clicking them takes me to a new page, with
javascript:tinyMCE.execInstanceCommand('mce_editor_0','mceinsertresource',true);
or
javascript:tinyMCE.execInstanceCommand('mce_editor_0','mcemoremore');
as the adress, both just a blank page, with only the text False. It would be nice to see that solved, but i think i'll learn to live with that, at least i have a WYSIWYG editor now.
marcotics

Postby jondaley on Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:43 am

yuck. That is way too much work for you to have to do. We'll have to fix that.

For your previous version of tinymce - did it always appear in English?
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

Postby marcotics on Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:39 am

jondaley wrote:yuck. That is way too much work for you to have to do. We'll have to fix that.

For your previous version of tinymce - did it always appear in English?

The previous version was in english i believe. I don't think anything was translated.

On the possible fix i gave - i can downsize it. After i downloaded and uploaded the Language files as i discribed, and made the two alterations to js/tinymce/tiny_mce-plog.js, the editor showd up. only glitch: Some things were untranslated, other things were just english. After i went through all the files, checking for strings with Language in it, and putting those to 'nl', all was translated, all was dutch. I didn't concider it to much work, just opening files in a text editor, searching for language and use common sence. Not every string that includes the text 'language' needs to be corrected. I don't think it was more than 6 or 7 lines i needed to edit.

But like i said, editing 2 lines corrected it for me. Just a problem with the 2 links below the input field, but i can work around it, never used those anyway.
And IE7 seems no longer supported, the editor is not showing up in IE7 anymore, as it did with the previous version of Lifetype/tinymce. back than i only had problems adding audio.

But i'll use Firefox now. Just glad it works again. Tinymce is much better looking now.
marcotics

Postby jondaley on Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:06 pm

I haven't checked IE7 myself, the guy who did some of the tinymce work said there is still a problem in IE (I assume he was talking about IE8, but I'm not sure), but I think the problem is in the add resource plugin or something like that, and not the editor itself.

I haven't yet gotten around to booting up windows to try it out.

It'd probably be good if it worked in IE7, but since IE9 is released, or just about released, and every version of IE is different, it is pretty hard to get it to work everywhere, and if the TinyMCE developers have given up on it, we probably can't continue to support it either.

(We had to upgrade tinymce because the old one didn't work with new releases of most browsers.)
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

Postby BattleMage on Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:23 am

I ran into a similar problem.

I used the incremental upgrade as i run a modified lifetype version. TinyMCE stopped working. My blogs are mainly in German, the dashboard is in German, too. My browser is configured to display pages in English if available.

As TinyMCE stopped working I took a look into the tinmyce directory to find several dead files. So I deleted the whole directory and got a fresh one from the full package. TinyMCE is now working as before without the need to change anything within the script files.

With the old, upgraded version I got an error "addToLang" would be an invalid function.

I'm now looking into the two text links under the text area producing "false" pages instead of functionality.
BattleMage

LifeType Version: 1.2.11 [modified]

Postby marcotics on Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:31 pm

BattleMage wrote:I ran into a similar problem.

I used the incremental upgrade as i run a modified lifetype version. TinyMCE stopped working. My blogs are mainly in German, the dashboard is in German, too. My browser is configured to display pages in English if available.

As TinyMCE stopped working I took a look into the tinmyce directory to find several dead files. So I deleted the whole directory and got a fresh one from the full package. TinyMCE is now working as before without the need to change anything within the script files.

With the old, upgraded version I got an error "addToLang" would be an invalid function.

I'm now looking into the two text links under the text area producing "false" pages instead of functionality.

I would suggest everyone to try it. But, in my case, after doing as BattleMage suggested, my working TinyMCE disappeared again. Seems to me it's still a language conflict between Lifetype and TinyMCE. But if it works, great! saves you a lot of editing wich i clearly have to do.
marcotics

Postby jondaley on Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:44 pm

I'll add a note about upgrading tinymce, since it looks through the directories and parses various files.
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

Previous

Return to Configuration and Installation