Postby italian_user on Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:36 pm

Good evening... in the Mantis I read about 1.2.11 version.... Have we update from 1.2.10??

thanks very much
italian_user

LifeType Version: 1.2.11

Re: 1.2.11

Postby jondaley on Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:39 am

No, I created it in order to have a placeholder for marking where bugs are fixed.
(I'm hoping to not release another 1.2.x release, but just go to 2.0)
I've started work on the 2.0 release, which hasn't been touched in a long time.
I've migrated all of the 1.2.x code to 2.0, and starting work on the php5 issues that have been plaguing the 1.2.x releases, since we finally don't have to support php4 any more.
The wizard needs some significant work, and I need to think about whether it might be better to release a 2.0 release that has less changes, in the interest of getting all of the stuff that is currently in 2.0 out the door, and then wait until 2.1 to do the rest.
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

LifeType Version: 1.2.11 devel branch

Postby italian_user on Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:30 am

jondaley wrote:No, I created it in order to have a placeholder for marking where bugs are fixed.
(I'm hoping to not release another 1.2.x release, but just go to 2.0)
I've started work on the 2.0 release, which hasn't been touched in a long time.
I've migrated all of the 1.2.x code to 2.0, and starting work on the php5 issues that have been plaguing the 1.2.x releases, since we finally don't have to support php4 any more.
The wizard needs some significant work, and I need to think about whether it might be better to release a 2.0 release that has less changes, in the interest of getting all of the stuff that is currently in 2.0 out the door, and then wait until 2.1 to do the rest.

thanks Jon,
your reply make me happy! Very happy!

It's not important the time you'll take to release the 2.0, 'cause like I wrote long time ago in this topic
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9222&start=15#p44948
I thought that the project would have gone to die after the 1.2.10... or 1.2.11 ..

It's very important for us, for all people (I think) to know that our blog are live, and the code is not die!

I'm not a programmer, but I spoken about lifetype project to my friend and He suggest to You to ask help in IRC channel or newsgroup... He say there are a lot of programmer ready to collaborate at the project.
I don't know if it's true, but to try is not harmful! Isn't it?

good luke and thanks very much for all your job about LT!
italian_user

Postby jondaley on Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:33 pm

Yeah, it won't die - I use it for my own blog (and run a handful of installations), and I don't like WP's code model - I write plugins and fix bugs in it occasionally for clients, and I'm always happy to get back to the LT model. I can't promise the speed of coding, particularly for new features, but for bugs, hopefully I can keep up.

And yes, it'd be great to have more coders, but I don't know what the right way to go about it would be - advertising/asking for random help on a newsgroup seems like it might not be the right way to do it. (take my involvement for example - I went looking for blog software 5 years ago or so, and came across lifetype, thought it looked good, so started using it, and (unknowingly) was using the 1.0 release that was considered unstable, and so as I reported bugs, phunkphorce said, gee - I guess I really should be using the 1.0 release too (the developers were still using 0.3.2 at the time) and as I reported and fixed bugs, and submitted them to mantis, eventually phunkphorce got sick of copying the code from mantis to subversion, and asked if I wanted a developer account. And now, five years later, I am leading the project... So, I think that is a good way for developers to get involved. They need to be using the software for something on their own, so then they are more invested in fixing things)

My advice to a programmer who is looking for work to do, is to pick a project that he is interested in on a non-coding level, and go find a bug (or look in the bug reports for an existing bug) and tell the developers he is interested in working on it (in case the bug is obsolete or something) and then submit the code when he is done, and see what the developers think about it. That is how I've gotten involved in a number of projects. And I suppose, the first step is even to report bugs, which is the majority of my involvement in debian packages - reporting bugs, and then helping to test when fixes are proposed.
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

LifeType Version: 1.2.11 devel branch

Postby martinh on Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:56 am

italian_user wrote:thanks Jon,
your reply make me happy! Very happy!

Me too!
It goes on.
martinh

Return to Configuration and Installation