How to upgrade versions?

How to upgrade versions?

Postby ohmster on Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:18 pm

I checked the FAQ and cannot find an answer to this simple question.

I am running LifeType version lifetype-1.2.8_r6440 and would like to update to the latest version, lifetype-1.2.9. My lifetype is on a godaddy host and I have FTP access to the site and was able to get LifeType installed and running properly and all setup pretty much the way I want (Still have a lot to learn.). To update, I downloaded the lifetype-1.2.9.zip file but what do I do with this? If I unzip it to my lifetype directory on the server, won't it overwrite everything I have setup so far? I am thinking of adding the smilie plugin and that is another page which must be modified and won't the new update overwrite that as well?

How to I update my version of lifetype on a remote server to the latest version?

Thank you.
Paul
ohmster

LifeType Version: lifetype-1.2.10_r696

Re: How to upgrade versions?

Postby jondaley on Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:16 pm

To go from one minor version to the other, we usually provide incremental upgrade zip files, so you can only download the files that we've changed. However, if I remember correctly, the 1.2.9 was so big, we didn't do a incremental release, since almost every file was modified anyway.

I wouldn't expect people to modify stuff in the class directory at all - every once in a while there is a good reason to do so, but usually you can do whatever changes you need with plugins instead.

Where people run into trouble is the admin and summary templates - that people do like to modify those, and I don't know of a good solution for users to keep track of their own changes. (you can search for svk on the wiki for how I used to manage my code that was different from lifetype's core code, but svk is pretty technical, so you may or may not be up for that).

If you know which files you've modified, then you can check our new versions and see how your changes should be applied. Particularly for the 1.2.9 release, I would recommend starting with our base files (again) and re-applying your changes - we did a lot of work to secure LifeType, and any time you spend now far outweighs the risk if you miss a critical change.

Plugins are unaffected by our released zip files (at least so far as 1.2.8 to 1.2.9, ie. not 1.2.9 to 2.0, which would require new plugins).

Actually, that isn't quite true, because, again due to security concerns, we did actually change the API calls in a minor release (normally a no-no). But, when upgrading minor releases, its a good time to upgrade your plugins anyway, since they might have been updated in the meantime.

If you can figure out svn (we have some documentation on the wiki, and you can find the rest on subversion's home page) that is by far the easiest way to maintain code - I personally have a half dozen lifetype installations, and I can update all of them (and all of their plugins) by running one script that simply does an "svn update" in each directory, and I know they are all running the latest code.
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

LifeType Version: 1.2.11 devel branch

Return to Configuration and Installation