"K2 Options" (Users edit own Template online) ?

"K2 Options" (Users edit own Template online) ?

Postby pony on Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:54 am

Hello,
Blogsport.de (which uses Wordpress) has an function for users, to edit Templates online.
For example: "Upload your own Banner" or "Change Background colour" and so on.

Has LifeType an Plugin like this?
Leben & Lachen
pony

LifeType Version: 1.2.8

Re: "K2 Options" (Users edit own Template online) ?

Postby jondaley on Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:11 am

Did you look at the "template editor" plugin?
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

LifeType Version: 1.2.11 devel branch

Postby pony on Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:18 am

Did you look at the "template editor" plugin?

Yes, I tested it.
But with this plugin a user can edit every template.
I am looking for an plugin which gives an user the option to change only his template - without impacts to templates of other users.
Leben & Lachen
pony

LifeType Version: 1.2.8

Postby jondaley on Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:04 pm

No, you are looking at the administration section - where administrators can edit any template. Go to control center, and see the template editor settings there - you need to grant the appropriate permission to each user who you want to allow to edit templates. They can't edit the site templates, but can copy the site templates to a local directory (like templates/blog_1/standard) and then can edit it there.
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

Postby Nomad on Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:37 pm

just noticed this - did you see my recent post in relation to templates? Here

essentially all you need do is place all of the standard template files into your default template folder. Allow the user to edit templates via the template editor. All they need then do is add an images folder and a css file with whatever changes they need or want in there.

i have tested this and it works on an out of the box install [fresh install in other words]. As I said in my post, it brings the ideology of Zen Garden to Lifetype where styling is truly handled directly by the css and the only requirement is that in the html the divs have a standardized naming philosophy.

The only thing I would be worried about is how it would impact on a 'Live Multi User' environment. Essentially every time a call is made it is made on the default set of files and styling is handled by the individual template folder. how this would impact say if a system had a multiple call to different users of say 10 or 20 at the same time I have as yet been unable to test but I can't really see any major impact on performance.

if the template editor had some form of css editor added maybe under an ajax or jquery framework then it would give a very powerful option to Lifetype.
Blog Ireland - now with video posting
Normally most write something meaningful here so many to choose from yet most oft ignored.
Nomad
Lifetype Expert

Postby jondaley on Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:28 am

It sounds like a good idea. The thing I've never been sure about is you can't do all of the hundred or so templates that we have in this format, can you? And if you can't do that, what good is having some of the templates done? Or would a blog host just install the "zen/css" templates and not use the rest?
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

Postby Nomad on Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:17 pm

jondaley wrote:It sounds like a good idea. The thing I've never been sure about is you can't do all of the hundred or so templates that we have in this format, can you? And if you can't do that, what good is having some of the templates done? Or would a blog host just install the "zen/css" templates and not use the rest?

Zen' garden don't have templates available par-se. Basically, what they tried to show [when css was in its infancy] was just how powerful a framework in terms of styling it was.

Essentially, when you land on there main page or when you apply a 'Style' from any of the links, the html never changes, only the css/images are changed.

obviously with the diverse range of templates that LT has and the fact that a stricter html framework wasn't applied [Although I do remember reading in the wiki that it was requested - maybe Oscar already had ideas along these lines??] .In that respect then it would be the choice of the host but certain existing templates would have to be either edited [quite a lot of them can be] and some removed as incompatible or used as strictly 'Custom' templates.

thats not to say that if someone was capable and wanted to make there own more advanced template - that they couldn't but it would be for them alone which is part of the unique aspect of LIfetypes template system as you know. My thoughts are for the in-experienced no html knowledge user, who are essentially restricted to what we or the community give them. Here I'm looking at an option where they can safely style there own template set, allow them to have some control over the look and feel of there blog.

I think thats where Reto was going when he suggested the Yaml system which is essentially a css based template system, though I have looked at it and on another system [a cms that Lifetype actually integrates into - I think I mentioned it a while ago] and it is kinda complicated to use. I'm thinking along the lines of something simple - literally a point, click and save and your done type approach....

So here we are looking at the ability to edit a css file directly but also disallowing any js or php or messing to happen in there, allow the ability to upload images in the .jpg, .gif or .png format to an images folder which can be sourced as background/s in the css and then saved for the individual user.

how difficult this would be to implement I dunno - I'm stlll playing with it and ideas but I have some of the ground work done and it seems to work fine. Hopefully I'll get mor etime soon to be able to look at it a bit more again....
Blog Ireland - now with video posting
Normally most write something meaningful here so many to choose from yet most oft ignored.
Nomad
Lifetype Expert

Return to General Plugin Development