WordPress spam free plugin

WordPress spam free plugin

Postby newtech1 on Tue May 13, 2008 1:29 am

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-spamfree/

It would be great if anyone could figure out how to create a LT plugin like this one.

It blocks 99% of bots according to the developer. It uses the concept of requiring javascript and cookies to block spam bots.
newtech1

Re: WordPress spam free plugin

Postby jondaley on Tue May 13, 2008 8:32 am

Do you still get spam? I didn't think it was a problem any more. I have been thinking about the next version of spam protection since presumably spammers will figure it out at some point, but for now, hiddeninput and badbehavior block everything quite nicely.

On my blog, I estimate that those two block 99.98% of the spam. I got the first false positive the other day (due to the bayesian filter) because someone used a handful of highly ranking words, but they got a notification it had been moderated, and the next time I logged in, I marked it as non-spam.

The wordpress plugin looks good, and contains some elements of what I have been thinking about. And I applaud removing the captcha - those don't really work, except for trivial spammers, and annoy users.

A simpler version of hiddeninput that I wrote on my company's contact page also has almost a 100% rate, and the number of spam attempts is much higher, a couple hundred a day are blocked. It's success rate is somewhere around 99.99%

If you don't have a decimal point on your accuracy percentage, it isn't worth talking about. For example, a webhost that boasts it is up 99% of the time, means that it is down 8 hours every month. Even at 99.9% it still is unavailable 5 minutes a month. I wouldn't accept a provider that offered those statistics. Once you get to "five nines", you are getting good. 26 seconds a month at the maximum is a more reasonable number.

For spam blocking, take my company web page, it has received ~25000 spam attempts in the last two months. If I had a 99% accurate filter, I would have gotten 250 spams in my inbox - ick.

My email filter for all of my personal email is 99.7% accurate, which is too low in my opinion.
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

LifeType Version: 1.2.11 devel branch

Postby newtech1 on Tue May 13, 2008 9:53 am

Yes, we are still getting a few spams-not many, but anyway to stop more would be great.

Hopefully the plug in will help to stop any bot blog sign ups. Still get advertisers signing up for blogs (have captcha for this). Maybe this is only manual signups and so no way to stop.
newtech1

Postby jondaley on Tue May 13, 2008 9:29 pm

yes, I can understand if you are still getting signups, though I suspect that they are humans - I have seen ads on rentacoder, etc. looking for programmer to get paid $.50 per hosting service they can get a link on, etc.
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

Postby knkk on Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:50 am

i am using 1.2.5. hiddeninput allows all comments through, it ony marks them as spam. the problem now is that a user who goes to his comments section in the admin/control panel has to sift through dozens if not hundreds of comments and delete them (LT does not seem to put all comments marked spam separately, like a mail box would do). a captcha does not allow a robot to go through in the first place. is there a captcha solution for LT?
London, New York, Chicago local guides
knkk

LifeType Version: 1.2.5

Postby knkk on Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:12 am

I run a multi-user multi-blog set-up with LT. I put in the authImage (http://wiki.lifetype.net/index.php/Plugin_authimage) plugin, but it is working only for the blog that I own with my login, and not for all the blogs in the installation. How do I make it do that?
London, New York, Chicago local guides
knkk

LifeType Version: 1.2.5

Postby jondaley on Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:11 am

There have been major improvements in the spam filtering (in 1.2.7, I think, maybe 1.2.8). Where the spam comments that are sure that they are spam, like with hiddeninput, will not show up at all in the admin section, but just be deleted immediately.

As for your enabling authimage everywhere, you need to enable the plugin for each blog (or you can use the global enable in administration->plugin settings). And each template needs to have the authimage bit added to it - if the templates you are using are using the templates/default/commentform.template template, rather than your own, you won't need to edit the templates.
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

Return to General Plugin Development