Outdated templates when upgrading-default template

Outdated templates when upgrading-default template

Postby newtech1 on Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:48 pm

Whenever there is a major upgrade to lifetype there is the issue of exisiting templates (other than Standard) not working properly, especially if the templates were customized.

With a large site this creates problems because the templates for exisitng users may not work. It would be nice if the admin could make it so all blogs not using the standard tmeplate could easily be converted to the standard template when an upgrade of lifetype is being done.

One of the lifetype admins is willing to create a new button on the cleanup page that says "set default templates for blogs with missing templates" that will accomplish this feature. The cost would be $50.

Is anyone willing to contribute to the implement of this feature? If so, PM me.
newtech1

Re: Outdated templates when upgrading-default template

Postby jondaley on Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:04 pm

The feature is an okay one, but what I would love to see is for users to update the templates themselves, rather than depending on the developers to do html work. It isn't that much fun for anyone (developers or others), but upgrading is usually easy enough that anyone can do it, and so it seems like the developer time is better spent elsewhere. Same argument goes for plugins, though at least some of the upgrades, more coding knowledge is required, though the significant portion of the upgrades could be done by someone who only knows the basic syntax of any programming language, and can follow error logs to find the missing semi-colon, etc.
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

LifeType Version: 1.2.11 devel branch

Postby newtech1 on Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:43 am

It is the issue for everyone of time and timing.

When upgrading a site, that is not the time to deal with templates not working properly.

If there was this button, then we could easily have all blogs use the standard template until we have the time to 'fix' templates, especially those that have special customization. That way the site will not be 'broken'. Otherwise there is one of two problems:
1. The outdated templates will be available for new subscribers to choose from, which continues the process of bad templates on the site.
2. The outdated templates are deleted so that new users do no not choose them, which 'breaks' the existing blogs that are using them.

So, the option of easily making all blogs use standard template resolves both problems until the other templates are upgraded.
newtech1

Postby jondaley on Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:15 pm

yes, I understand. I was speaking to the larger problem of why templates and plugins aren't upgraded as fast as I'd like to see them. I think the 1.2 upgrade was the biggest example of this since I started on the project. We still don't have very many of them ported, and it wouldn't take that long for someone to do.
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

LifeType Version: 1.2.11 devel branch

Postby newtech1 on Wed May 07, 2008 9:03 am

Am I the only one interested in this plugin? Nobody else interested in chipping into help pay for this plugin?
newtech1

Return to General Plugin Development