Mass deletion of unused blogs

Mass deletion of unused blogs

Postby newtech1 on Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:40 pm

It would be very helpful to have an easy way to determine what blogs have been abandoned, or never used, and to be able to easily delete them.

Based upon
http://bugs.lifetype.net/view.php?id=1315

One of the adminstrators of lifetype has agreed to create a plugin to do the above. They are asking for a reasonable fee of $150 to implement this feature. I am willing to contribute $80 (saved time makes this feature worth it), another member is willing to contribute $30. Any members willing to contribute towards the balance?

If so, send me a PM.
Richard D'Andrea Dover
http://www.christianblogsites.com
newtech1

Re: Mass deletion of unused blogs

Postby thestroller on Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:45 pm

Hello,

I'm writing this plugin and I hope it can be finished in some next days. Of course, it's free.

I want to know some ideas:
- Only delete blogs, not delete user.
- If an user has some blogs, what will we do?
- List all blogs which: last post in 1 week, month, quarter, year?
- List all blogs which: total posts < 2, 5, 10, 50?
- List all users which: last login in 1 week, month, quarter, year?

Any thing else?

P/S: How do you think about another plugin which allows admin "ban" a user with a reason in 1 day, 3 days, 1 week, 1 month, forever,... It also allow admin to "ban" a blog with a reason, visitors will only see this reason when access a "banned" blog.

Thank you
Maiminh
thestroller

Postby newtech1 on Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:09 pm

if a user is active compared to a blog.- Only delete blogs, not delete user

I would want to mass delete users and blogs. I have tons of users who have only 1 blog and a couple of posts.

If an user has some blogs, what will we do?

That is why it would be good to track if a user is being active, not just blog. If a user is not active then most likely all their blogs are inactive so they both would be deleted.

List all blogs which: last post in 1 week, month, quarter, year?

I would say last post in a month. But of course, I have a policy if a blog is not active over 30 days then it can be deleted without notice (even though I give notice)

List all blogs which: total posts < 2, 5, 10, 50?

I would say two posts. This would catch 90% of the inactive blogs. There would be grace for those who have only a few posts.

List all users which: last login in 1 week, month, quarter, year?

I would say 1 month, again because of y policy.

Whatever options are finally chosen for the above, it would be nice if we could see a list of all users or blogs that are going to be deleted and override a deletion of a specific blog if desired. This is probably more involved than what the plugin would do, but a suggestion.
newtech1

Postby kouaa-blog on Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:00 am

30 day for unused blogs is not enough! I have thousand of bloggers on my lifetype and many of theme don't post every month.

I don't think it is really interested to delete a blog which contain many post even if the author don't post since 2 or 3 month. Because the blog could always interest people.

But 1 thing which lifetype need is to delete blog created but with no post since 7day. Because lot of user never start there blog after created, and also because some create blog only to host image in the album.

For me the best solution would be:
Delete unused blog with more than 5 posts after 6 month.
Delete unused blog between 1 to 4 posts after 1 month.
Delete unused blog with no post after 1 week.
kouaa-blog

Postby jondaley on Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:22 pm

thestroller wrote:I'm writing this plugin and I hope it can be finished in some next days. Of course, it's free.

That's great! I would much rather see the community support itself than have it dependent on a small group of people to write the code. Unfortunately, I have been so busy lately that I don't have much time for working on features that I don't need myself. I have been meaning to get started on 2.0, and maybe that will get me more excited about adding features again.
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

LifeType Version: 1.2.11 devel branch

Postby thestroller on Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:10 pm

Hello newtech1,
I will use combobox so you can select the options.

Hello Jon,
We are waiting for LT 2.0 and check its progress everyday :D We know you waste lots of time for LT and we are very appreciate!!!

Thank you so much.
thestroller

Postby thestroller on Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:14 pm

Hello Jon,

One more thing, I think when lots of people use LT, our community will get lots of plugins, templates, supports,... from ourselves. And I trust LT 2.0 will be a bomb! :)
thestroller

Postby jondaley on Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:10 pm

The thing that is sort of funny/strange to me is that there are "lots" of people using lifetype, there are gigantic (tens of thousands of blogs per installation) installs in various countries in the educational sector, for teachers and students, etc. as well as all the "regular" installations. But, it seems that those sort of installs rarely contribute back. It seems for the most part it is only the individual users who contribute things.
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

LifeType Version: 1.2.11 devel branch

Postby newtech1 on Wed May 07, 2008 9:07 am

Can I get a timeframe of when this plugin will be completed. I have another upgrade to do I am trying to hold off until I could use this plugin to delete the massive amount of blogs I have before doing the upgrade.
newtech1

Postby thestroller on Wed May 07, 2008 11:12 am

Hello,

Because I'm trying to fix the "comment flooding" bugs of LT. So please wait for some days if you can.

Thank you
thestroller

Postby newtech1 on Thu May 15, 2008 12:59 pm

I am hoping to upgrade by June 1. Is it feasible for this plugin to be created by then?
Richard D'Andrea Dover
newtech1

Postby newtech1 on Thu May 29, 2008 10:14 am

Any status on this feature?
newtech1

Postby newtech1 on Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:21 am

Due to no responses to my last couple of posts, it looks like this is not going to be done for free. So, based upon the first post I made, there is an admin who will do this for $150. With my $80 and another user's $30, we only need to raise $30 more to have the admin do it. Anybody want to chip in?
newtech1

Postby thestroller on Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:13 am

Hello,

I'm very sorry about the late. Recently I had a surgery and I have just come back home from hospital today. If you can wait, I promise will finish this plugin asap.

Thank you and sorry again.
thestroller

Postby newtech1 on Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:20 pm

I could not get anyone else to help cover the costs and I had to get all the excessive blogs removed. So, I manually removed the blogs.
I personally would still like to see this plugin implemented because it would help tremendously for ongoing maintenance of site. Since I spent hours of my personal time to manually delete blogs, I cannot justify spending $80 for this plug-in, but I would be willing to give a few bucks to whomever creates this plug-in.

P.S. Sorry to hear that you were in the hospital. Hope you are doing much better.
Richard D'Andrea Dover
newtech1

Next

Return to General Plugin Development