Questions plugin

Questions plugin

Postby koji on Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:44 am

I've made a very simple implementation for question-response field in the comments form.

If the question is wrong the comment is rejected, nothing new, but i think there's no similar plugin at this moment in LT.

At this moment, the questions are into an array in a php file, but i suppose that it will be better to put them on the database and let the users introduce their questions and similar...

If somebody wants to check it, or the team wants I submit it somewhere please tell me.
koji

Postby jondaley on Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:52 pm

So, it uses text questions, rather than the authimage, but other than that, it is the same sort of plugin?

I had been wondering about doing that sort of plugin (authmath was what I was thinking) and you could select different levels of mathematical difficulty, ie. "2+2", "sin 60 degrees", "cube root of 8", "first 6 digits of pi", etc. :)

Probably some people would find your plugin useful, so please upload it to bugs.lifetype, and we can see about publishing it.
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

LifeType Version: 1.2.11 devel branch

Postby Nomad on Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:33 pm

sounds a good idea - especially with the recent reports that authimage type captachas are now being compromised by automated bots or the ability to has been found...
Blog Ireland - now with video posting
Normally most write something meaningful here so many to choose from yet most oft ignored.
Nomad
Lifetype Expert

Postby jondaley on Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:44 am

I guess maybe I don't want to tell too many people since the spammers will work harder at beating it, but I haven't gotten any spam in months (published or waiting for me in the admin), and I only use hiddeninput.

I did get one highschooler trying to be cool, and posted a bunch, but badbehavior and the bayesian filter took care of him after he posted a number of them. (and his IT guy went to talk to him, so that should take care of that problem). But, as for "real" spammers, I haven't seen them since we changed some stuff around in the comments analysis.
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

Postby chromos on Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:06 pm

but please tell it us :)

jondaley wrote:I guess maybe I don't want to tell too many people since the spammers will work harder at beating it, but I haven't gotten any spam in months (published or waiting for me in the admin), and I only use hiddeninput.

I did get one highschooler trying to be cool, and posted a bunch, but badbehavior and the bayesian filter took care of him after he posted a number of them. (and his IT guy went to talk to him, so that should take care of that problem). But, as for "real" spammers, I haven't seen them since we changed some stuff around in the comments analysis.
chromos

LifeType Version: 1.2.9-devel

Postby jondaley on Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:46 am

"hiddeninput" is the only plugin I use. You should probably customize it (in the administration menu) to make it trickier to discover. Someday, I'll have to change the plugin to be more dynamic, as right now, spammers could analyze the page once and bypass it, but for now, they haven't figured it out.
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

Re:

Postby coldtobi on Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:33 pm

jondaley wrote:"hiddeninput" is the only plugin I use. You should probably customize it (in the administration menu) to make it trickier to discover. Someday, I'll have to change the plugin to be more dynamic, as right now, spammers could analyze the page once and bypass it, but for now, they haven't figured it out.

Well, I got lots of spam even with hiddeninput... (Was actually the motivation for my recaptcha plugin)
However, the "common sense questions" idea is not so bad. They are defintitly on the rise and can be spotted in more and more places. On the other side, some of them can be beaten easily, if the spammers want to. Especially, if there is a "common" catalog of questions, which one can adapt to. So there should be a very large catalog of questions, or maybe that the questions are assembled dynamically (so that they cannot be parsed that easily).
But then, this plugin could be really powerful -- and accessible.
coldtobi

LifeType Version: 1.2.7

Re: Questions plugin

Postby jondaley on Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:33 pm

Interesting. And you are using badbehavior as well? I have gotten a couple spam comments in the last couple months and maybe one spam trackback. Maybe you have different spammers than me. And probably I'll have to switch to something else at some point as well (probably the day after I get a hundred comments or something...)
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

Return to General Plugin Development