pLog/LifeType 2.0?

pLog/LifeType 2.0?

Postby blacksnday on Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:23 pm

I remember years ago when this was called pLog. Even during that b4 name changed all talking about 2.0. I understand projects and devs fade, specially for those that have no financial support, and now all these years later I come back to hope.. still under 2.0. I Hate WordPress, Love pLog/LifeType. Be sad to see this go. How can I help keep it going?
blacksnday

Re: pLog/LifeType 2.0?

Postby martinh on Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:01 am

jondaley is working on 1.2.12 viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9759#p45750

I think he is the head of LifeType now.
martinh

LifeType Version: 1.2.11

Postby jondaley on Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:39 pm

Yeah, it has been slow going these last couple years.

All of the developers that were here when I started blogging have left. I am self-employed, and my business is going well, and I have a handful of customers that use LifeType, so I am perhaps better situated than some to stay with the project.

I have considered putting my development efforts into another blogging tool, but I think Wordpress is not designed well, and so won't work on it (other than occasional software projects I get where the client is already committed to WP, and so can't use LifeType. Besides the coding styles of combining HTML and PHP into one (and thus making it hard (impossible?) for blog users to change templates) its performance is pretty bad, and I often gain web hosting customers who get kicked off of their hosting due to their WP blog (with all of 10 visitors) overloading the web server. Obviously, it can be configured, and supercache and dbcache installed, etc. But, LifeType has those sorts of features built-in - (I have thought about adding the only bit left - to have completely cached files too, though I haven't seen the bit of PHP code that runs for a LifeType hit use all that much CPU, so haven't gotten around to it yet). Lighttpd helps out wordpress a lot too, though those performance gains would help LifeType too, so doesn't really help the comparison.

Anyway, all that to say, I'm not going to switch to Wordpress, and I haven't found another blogging solution that I've liked, so I'm still here. I'd love to have more development support and get the 2.0 release out. Oscar (the original founder of pLog) coded in some new features into 2.0 before he left, and the administration interface has gotten a bit of a facelift (that is one place that I'll admit WP is better than LifeType - we certainly could use some designer type people, instead of having the interfaces designed by software guys...)
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

LifeType Version: 1.2.11 devel branch

Postby blacksnday on Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:52 pm

jon,

I am very happy to see LifeType still around.
Back in 2004 when I first starting using pLog I was not in my learning phase.
After I left, I studied and taught myself php coding.
I then made my own custom cms in which I ran several complete different websites.

Several of those websites became popular(as can be with a one man team and no advertising).
So much so, I had to shut down due to a few lawsuit threats.

Once I made a blogging system as a Mod in my personal CMS system.

Because of pLog/lifetype, I incorporated the Smarty Template System/Smarty Tagging to my php cms.
I found it easy to redo a new way different website/templates.. others found it difficult to help me.
For a while I was frustrated, but then remembered my days here with pLog/Lifetype where the devs thought it easy
and end users became frustrated.

My point is I think I can now offer some help(of course once I re-learn the framework), when back in the day I was clueless
to any coding.

I want to help, as I agree with you.. WP sucks. I have coded many plugins(templates for such as well) for clients(contact form-ip ban/etc.) and is easy but hard also.
WP Multi-user blog is A JOKE I think. (more here but tired of typing)

I will tinker with my local/live install of Lifetype and do my best to help you with this as I believe in it so much.
I am in a much better position now to help :)
blacksnday

Postby jondaley on Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:43 pm

Sounds good to me. A good place to start might be take a look through bugs.lifetype.net and see if there is anything interesting to work on there. Some of the bugs I've already tagged as for the next release, but there are probably some new ones that should get worked on soon as well.
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

LifeType Version: 1.2.11 devel branch

Return to Everything Else Goes Here!