nOoOb introducing himself :)

nOoOb introducing himself :)

Postby nOoOb on Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:36 pm

Hi all,

I'm not native english so I'll try to do my best but be cool about my english.
I discovered LifeType few weeks ago and wanted to congrat and thank you for that great work.
Is it just me or is really LifeType the best multi-blog CMS ?
I discovered CMS and blog platforms only few months ago, and LifeType seems to be the one with the best potential, but as a noob, perhaps I'm wrong.
What do you think about that ? What are the bad points of LifeType ? The points where other CMS are better ?

I saw there aren't lot of templates, I would like to help the community on that point, is it difficult to modify wordpress' templates into full fonctionnal Lifetype ones ? Other kind of templates that would be not too difficult to adapt ? How do I do that ? What kinda change must I do (don't worry, I've also read the doc and am going to read it another time).
I would really like to help and am ready to work hard on it, but I don't know how to start, it will be my first templates, but we all need to start somewhere.
Any advises about that ? Perhaps I should post in the template section.
Also, I'm learning php and read your roadmap and things that weren't planned yet but todo and I would like to help about the user registration without creating a blog, I'll ask advises when I will have learned enough about it. I also saw another thing I would like to help but forgot about it right now.

All that to say,

Thank you guys :)

See you soon !
nOoOb

Postby jondaley on Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:04 pm

Probably the best place to start with the templates is taking the templates that are currently in the "unported" folder, and making them compatible with 1.2.

You can find them in subversion here:
http://devel.lifetype.net/svn/plog/temp ... /unported/

There are directions on how to port templates from 1.1 to 1.2 on wiki.lifetype.net

By doing that task, you'll get to know how the template format works.

When you are done, you can upload them to bugs.lifetype.net and we can upload them. Try to not change the newlines or more spacing stuff than you need to do the work, so then we can check your changes and publish them.

For coding stuff, you should probably use the 2.0 version of the code, since we aren't planning on a 1.2.7 release unless we really need to, and so new code (and especially new features) will go in 2.0.

There are probably lots of little things to fix up in 2.0, and that might be a good way to get into the code as well. You can submit code to bugs.lifetype.net and developers will check it out, and if the code looks good, you'll be given a subversion login and can check stuff in directly.

You should join our devel/svn mailing list, to see those discussions, etc.
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

LifeType Version: 1.2.11 devel branch

Postby nOoOb on Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:08 am

Thanks for this quick reply.

I've read nearly half of the templates' wiki section last night, I'll continue as soon as I find time. Thanks for your advises, I'll do as you said.

As you said it is best to wait for the 2.0 version for developping, will a porting from 1.1 to 1.2 for templates be usefull for 2.0 or will we have to port them again ? If it's the case, shouldn't I go directly to 2.0 ? But I guess if you tell me to port them to 1.2 that it will also be usefull for 2.0.

And again, thanks to all the developpers for that great tool.
nOoOb

Postby jondaley on Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:56 pm

I don't know of changes from 1.2 to 2.0 yet, but yes, porting to 1.2 will be useful, and that work will have to be done to get to 2.0 anyway. If it were me, I would port them to 1.2 first, and then to 2.0 (once we know what changes need to happen).

I thought of you as I was falling asleep last night, and the other place to work on things is porting 1.1 plugins to 1.2. There is a similar set of instructions for porting them, and probably a bunch of the work isn't that difficult, and that will provide you with even more insight as to how LifeType works.

It is great to have you working on this - Not many users have contributed on the templates or plugins for the 1.2 release.
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

Postby nOoOb on Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:52 pm

Thanks for those kind words.
But remember my nickname, not sure all that will go quicly, perhaps that you will have done the 2.0 before I'm good enough to do anything correct.
Sure I'm interested in helping about the plugins if you think it's not too difficult.
Which plugins were the most usefull in those that aren't ported yet ?
nOoOb

Postby jondaley on Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:51 pm

If I knew how to answer that, I probably would have ported them already... :)

I would think dropcase would be an easy one, and then the top*** plugins.
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

Postby nOoOb on Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:45 am

Thanks, I'll look what dropcase is about.
I started to work on karma, but I must say I didn't manage to make it work yet...
Time wil tell.
nOoOb

Return to Everything Else Goes Here!