Upgrade 1.2.4 to 1.3dev ?

Upgrade 1.2.4 to 1.3dev ?

Postby zava on Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:01 am

Upgrade 1.2.x to 1.3dev requide to run wizard.php ?
is possible for use update ? or is working only for clean installa ?
My LifeType Blog "Zava's Blog" : http://www.zavablog.it/
zava

Postby phunkphorce on Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:33 pm

No! Don't upgrade to 2.0 please!!!!!!

Do not upgrade to 2.0 until we say so. Currently LT 2.0 does not support upgrades anyway, so you would end up with a messy installation...
phunkphorce
Lifetype Expert

Postby zava on Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:31 pm

phunkphorce wrote:No! Don't upgrade to 2.0 please!!!!!!

Do not upgrade to 2.0 until we say so. Currently LT 2.0 does not support upgrades anyway, so you would end up with a messy installation...

ok, well, new version will be named 2.0 ;)
I know as in the past is not possible update directly to newer version
i use svn repository sometime.
i will try snapshot just for fun on this week end.

Tnx Zava
My LifeType Blog "Zava's Blog" : http://www.zavablog.it/
zava

Postby Nomad on Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:01 pm

LT 2.0? HuH???

I thought the next release was 1.3???

:shock:
Blog Ireland - now with video posting
Normally most write something meaningful here so many to choose from yet most oft ignored.
Nomad
Lifetype Expert

Postby phunkphorce on Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:05 am

You should really read the front page of lifetype.net more often:

http://www.lifetype.net/blog/lifetype-d ... 31/roadmap
phunkphorce
Lifetype Expert

Postby Nomad on Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:32 am

phunkphorce wrote:You should really read the front page of lifetype.net more often:

http://www.lifetype.net/blog/lifetype-d ... 31/roadmap

You changed it since I was last there :lol: (And it wasn't that long back)...

WoW that looks great!.. Just a couple of questions though..

php5? Will that mean that sys admins have to upgrade the php package from 4 to 5?

MYSQL? Again upgrade from 4 to 5?

New Features:
Integrated friends list and private messaging. <- Could this not be implemented as a minor release first? I notice in the svn that 1.3 is already there and assume as such that you were working on it? I think it would be a good idea to get this functioning and then when LT 2.0 comes out it can be more easily integrated with the new google maps feature. (From a user point of view?) It also means that community building can be built on now so that when all the new features are finally implemented there will already be a strong community in place to avail of them.

I like the idea of cleaning up the user interface (I take it this is the admin area?) - I'm going to check out the repository later to night to have a look at it - Will need to set up my local 'LAMP' server first....
Normally most write something meaningful here so many to choose from yet most oft ignored.
Nomad
Lifetype Expert

Postby phunkphorce on Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:39 pm

Yes, PHP 5 (at least 5.1) and MySQL 5 will be a requirement as of Lifetype 2.0. We did not get any comments about the roadmap so it could be that these two new requirements haven't sunk in yet... but they should.

Regarding the friends list and the google maps stuff, they have already been in fact implement and they should work quite well if you try the development snapshot. They were going to be part of a smallish 1.3 release but then we realized that the ajax stuff that we had implemented for the google maps stuff only works with UTF-8 so we thought that this was perhaps the right moment: we will move to UTF-8, MySQL 5 and PHP 5 in one go.

We do not usually include features that require database changes into a minor release (such as the forthcoming 1.2.5) so we ruled against introducing the friends list now rather than waiting. People have lived without it for years now so a few more months won't matter :)
phunkphorce
Lifetype Expert

Postby Nomad on Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:58 pm

hmmm so it won't be backwards compatible? I'm unsure if my main host at the moment will upgrade or even let me upgrade to php5/mysql5 ..

I'll have to see.

I'm setting up a LAMP server at the moment so will grab the svn stuff later...

So I take 1.2.5 will be the last update before LT 2.0 comes out then? (Can't wait ;) )

8)
Nomad
Lifetype Expert

Postby phunkphorce on Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:05 pm

We can't really comment on how many 1.2.x releases there will be... but if it's up to us, there will be 1.2.x releases as long as there's bugs to fix in it. Right now we're getting 1.2.5 ready but we'll see after that if there is a need to start working on 1.2.6...
phunkphorce
Lifetype Expert

Postby jondaley on Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:58 am

As a webhost, I expect that people will go away from PHP4, as it is officially unsupported as of January 2008, I believe. I saw an article a while back, maybe on php.net that stated as much.
I suppose other folks might take up the development to keep it going.
The devs fixed the only bug in php5 that I cared about (though I haven't tested the fix yet), so I won't mind upgrading.

Though I imagine it will be a little difficult, since lots of my users write their own scripts, so they might have broken stuff.

The upgrade to mysql5 shouldn't be that bad. I have one poorly written application that failed, the rest have been fine.
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

LifeType Version: 1.2.11 devel branch

Return to LifeType 2.0 Development