Working on a "private messages" plugin

Working on a "private messages" plugin

Postby evens83 on Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:35 am

Hi!

I'm using the LifeType in a student-project at my school with two other students. And I'm currently working on incorporating messages-functionality into LifeType.

The functionality I've been implemented so far is:
*Inbox (read incoming messages).
*Outbox (read already sent messages).
*Send messages to other users.
*Messages is marked with a "flag" when it is read, so the user can be informed about new unread messages.

Is there any other functionality that can be implemented?

Even
evens83

Postby phunkphorce on Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:00 am

The features you've already implemented are what is most usually provided, right?

Would you be willing to share the code with us? We'd be very much interested :)
phunkphorce
Lifetype Expert

Postby mello on Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:47 pm

This would be a lovely addition and cant wait to see it happen.
mello

Postby evens83 on Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:12 am

Of course I would like to share the code!

The code is far from done, but at least it's something to build on. I also would like to get someone to test it for me. And also be sure to let me know what you think about it, so that I can try to fix bugs in it.

Up to this point I have concentrated mainly on the functionality, and not on the apperance.

Please note that I only made the plugin work with the standard-template at this point. And the version I am using is the latest snapshot from this site.

Instructions:

1. Extract the .zip-file.

2. Copy the "privatemessage-folder" to your plugins-folder in LifeType.

3. Access the PluginCentre in the admin-console, and make sure the plugin appear in the list.

4. Overwrite your footer.template in the standard-template with the one in my zip-file.

Now it should be activated!

Here is the plugin.
http://stud.aitel.hist.no/~evens/privatemessage
evens83

Postby phunkphorce on Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:50 pm

I haven't looked that the code yet, but why do you need to modify the standard template? I thought that this was only about internal private messages, which are managed via the admin interface? Or is there a side of this feature that I am missing?
phunkphorce
Lifetype Expert

Postby evens83 on Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:35 am

phunkphorce wrote:I haven't looked that the code yet, but why do you need to modify the standard template? I thought that this was only about internal private messages, which are managed via the admin interface? Or is there a side of this feature that I am missing?

Yes. The meaning of this plugin is to exchange messages directly between users. And the way I am doing this, is to incorporate an inbox/outbox-section on the right menu on the frontside of the standardtemplate.

But I'm realizing now that maybe it's better to incorporate the messages (inbox/outbox/send-messages) directly into the admin-console, instead of trough the standard-template?
evens83

Postby phunkphorce on Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:17 am

I'm thinking that this has nothing to do with the front-end of the blog... It probably makes more sense to integrate it only with the admin interface, although you may choose to provide some methods at the plugin level in case users want to display certain information in the front-end.
phunkphorce
Lifetype Expert

Postby mello on Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:26 am

If phpbb gets fully integrated into LT can't we just use phpbbs private messaging system instead?
mello

Postby phunkphorce on Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:28 am

We have no plans to fully integrate phpbb... Of course it's just a matter of writing some code :)
phunkphorce
Lifetype Expert

Postby mello on Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:30 pm

phunkphorce wrote:We have no plans to fully integrate phpbb... Of course it's just a matter of writing some code :)

I think that would be the best method. Then we can use some html and fetch/send PMS when logged into your dashboard. Just my two sense.
mello

Postby Rehsa4 on Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:59 pm

but what about the people who don't use phpbb with their install? just leave them in the dark? I think having a PM plugin would be a good thing, then a different one to integrate the phpbb one in.
Rehsa4

Postby mello on Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:55 pm

Rehsa4 wrote:but what about the people who don't use phpbb with their install? just leave them in the dark? I think having a PM plugin would be a good thing, then a different one to integrate the phpbb one in.

Good point I guess ... We'll see what happens. I need some ice cream !
mello

version 1.01

Postby evens83 on Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:21 am

Now I made an updated version, 1.01. And this version let you exchange messages through the admin-console.

URL: http://stud.aitel.hist.no/~evens/privatemessage
evens83

Postby phunkphorce on Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:35 am

How complete is it? Are there many features still to be implemente?
phunkphorce
Lifetype Expert

Postby mello on Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:03 am

Should we try this out and give feedback on it? Or is it not ready for that yet?
mello

Next

Return to LifeType 2.0 Development