Adding users from administration

Adding users from administration

Postby Afroz on Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:09 am

As admin, if I want to add a user to any existing blog (that isn't mine), I can go to Administration->Blogs->Edit Blog->Add Users and then select the users and give appropriate permissions. However, when I click on "Add" in the Users section of Edit Blog, I go into [Admin Mode] and my blog in the navigation bar changes to the blog to which I'm adding users. (Sounds a bit confusing, doesn't it?)
For example, before clicking "Add", here is my navigation bar:
Dashboard >> My own blog >> Administration >> Blogs
After clicking it, my navigation bar changes to:
Dashboard >> Blog that I'm adding a user to >> Control Centre >> New Blog User
At this point, I'm controlling the other user's blog, so if I go to Manage->Posts, I see his posts and not mine.
Is this the expected behaviour? I wouldn't expect to have full control over his blog until I actually complete the process of adding myself as a user of his blog.

Another irregularity in this situation is that, in Admin Mode under a different blog, if I click on Control Centre->Blog Settings, I get the correct settings of the other user's blog. However, if I go to Control Centre->User Settings, I get MY OWN user settings, though I'm not the owner or even a user of the blog. I would expect to view the owner's user settings if I wasn't a part of the blog in any way (but am the administrator) OR I would expect to view my settings if I were a user of the blog. That's just my opinion though. Does this sound reasonable to you guys?

I hope those reading this message can follow what I'm saying. As I read what I've just written, I have to admit... it's all a bit muddled. :? If I'm not clear enough, please tell me and I'll try to elaborate more clearly.
Afroz

Postby jondaley on Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:41 pm

I think I get it, and yes, this is the appropriate behavior.
As a site administrator, you are allowed to edit all blogs on the server (prior to 1.1 you couldn't do that, so be happy... :)) If you didn't have full control over his blog, how would you add yourself as a user? You would have to ask the blog owner to do that for you...

I assume with the new permissions in 1.2, you can setup partial site-admins, if you want to be able to give some permissions to someone, but not full site admin access. I haven't played around with the permissions too much.

Whenever you see the "admin mode" you know that you are editing other people's blogs, and not your own.

If you go to control-center->user settings, I suppose it could edit the blog owner's settings instead of your own, but you might want to edit a non-blog-owner of that blog, so doing that through the administration->edit site users seems like the best way to do that, although you could probably make the argument that it takes some work to get from a particular blog to edit the users of that blog?
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

LifeType Version: 1.2.11 devel branch

Postby phunkphorce on Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:32 pm

As Jon very nicely described, this is indeed the expected behaviour.
phunkphorce
Lifetype Expert

Postby Afroz on Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:00 am

Great! Thanks for clearing that up! :)
One final point for clarification... Is there a way to go into admin mode for a particular blog besides clicking on Edit Blog->Add users?
Afroz

Postby phunkphorce on Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:38 am

Afroz wrote:Is there a way to go into admin mode for a particular blog besides clicking on Edit Blog->Add users?

Yes. Go to Administration->Edit blogs, find the blog you like and then click the icon that looks like a lock on the right column. I guess the icon isn't very clear, but we couldn't find anything better...

You have to be an admin or have the edit_blog_admin_mode in order to be able to access this functionality.
phunkphorce
Lifetype Expert

Postby Afroz on Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:59 am

Ah! I see!! That makes more sense then! :)
From the icon itself... I never guessed that was the purpose. Perhaps a "title" attribute in the HTML markup for the images could help?
Afroz

Postby jondaley on Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:54 am

yeah, I haven't liked the "lock" icon either, but I didn't have a better suggestion, do you?
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

LifeType Version: 1.2.11 devel branch

Return to LifeType 2.0 Development