Adding video sources?

Adding video sources?

Postby Nomad on Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:45 pm

I notice in the new release that the ability to add videos from other sources than youtube/google has been added..

is it simpler to add sources now?

I'd like to include Grouper.com videos if possible

edit: Also is there a way for users to add videos via there own resource folder? I would like to enable this option if possible (And yes I'm prepared to get extra space etc if required - obviously will need to) - 1st things 1st though can it be done?

any tips on editing the plugin?

thanks

:)

PS Any known issues on upgrading? current version was the last major release lifetype 1.1
Last edited by Nomad on Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blog Ireland - now with video posting
Normally most write something meaningful here so many to choose from yet most oft ignored.
Nomad
Lifetype Expert

Re: Adding video sources?

Postby phunkphorce on Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:50 pm

Nomad wrote:I notice in the new release that the ability to add videos from other sources than youtube/google has been added..

is it simpler to add sources now?

I'd like to include Grouper.com videos if possible

any tips on editing the plugin?

You can take a look under js/tinymce/plugins/insertvideo, there's a bunch of javascript files that you can modify. At this point I think it should mostly be a copy-and-paste job, just have a look at the code for other video sites.

PS Any known issues on upgrading? current version was the last major release lifetype 1.1

Download the package with 1.1.4, upload overwriting all files except your own config/config.properties.php and you're good to go.
phunkphorce
Lifetype Expert

Postby Nomad on Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:42 am

I looked at the file it seems easier to add in the extra video feeds..

I take it the html needs also updating?

any other than those two? I did notice that they have been refined somewhat since the last release possibly to make it easier to do this edit?

thanks phunkphorce - working on updating mine now...

Normally most write something meaningful here so many to choose from yet most oft ignored.
Nomad
Lifetype Expert

Postby phunkphorce on Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:59 am

Yes, you need to do these things in order to get a new video site:

1) edit the HTML code so that your new site is selectable from the list
2) add an icon for your new video site
3) edit the file js/tinymce/plugins/insertvideo/css/content.css and add a new CSS class for your video
4) have a look at js/tinymce/plugins/insertvideo/functions.js and insert a method to return the link to the video player for your site given a full URL, you may need to mess around with regular expressions a bit.
5) edit the function getVideoType() in js/tinymce/plugins/insertvideo/editor_plugin.js to return a new constant for your new video site.

I think that's about it, look at the other video sites that are already supported if you get lost or please ask here...
phunkphorce
Lifetype Expert

Postby Nomad on Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:47 am

I take it as well the upgrade only works once the system is upgraded to version 1.1.4 ?

Just wondering as I've managed to get the files updated yet as is it won't insert video ...even youtube etc... so I'm assuming that sthe case..

does the wizard.php need to be run or can I just do the normal file over write for the upgarde?
Nomad
Lifetype Expert

Postby phunkphorce on Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:26 am

Which upgrade, i.e. from where to where?

There is no need to run wizard.php when upgrading in the 1.1.x series (like from 1.1.3 to 1.1.4) though you might need to reset your browser's cache as browsers like to cache Javascript very much.
phunkphorce
Lifetype Expert

Postby Nomad on Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:39 am

ok I've upgraded everything to 1.1.4 - whether this will fix the albums problem I have as yet to look at....

I edited the files for insert video as you suggested but had no joy - obviously I am doing something wrong as it stopped them all from functioning - ie I couldn't insert code on any of the options. switched back to the original and it works fine....

personally I think it may something to do with this bit of the code

Code: Select all
   else if( url.substring( 0, 21 ) == "http://www.grouper.com/" )
      return 6;

specifically the value 0, 21 ?

As there is to much code for me to post here and I can attach files would it be ok to provide you a link to a zipped folder so you could have a quick look for me? I'd say it's something small I've missed probably...

thanks

edit: hmm how interesting - just checked the albums and everything seems to be working fine - must have been a file got messed up on last upgarde. yesterdays overwrite looks like it fixed it...

excellent stuff :)

ps I noticed your test blog - I'll leave that in place in case of any future probs... :)
Nomad
Lifetype Expert

Postby phunkphorce on Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:45 am

If case you can't manage, then please link to a .zip file with your changes or send them to me and I will try to have a look.

Regarding my test blog, I think you can delete it if everything is ok now. I forgot to tell you yesterday that everything was working fine for me :)
phunkphorce
Lifetype Expert

Postby Nomad on Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:01 am

yeah I think you registered just after I finished with the upgrade which must have sorted the bug out thankfully ...

ok I've put the folder at http://www.blogireland.ie/video-check.zip not sure what it is as I followed how the ifilm was coded and assumed it should be something similar to that...

thanks much

A :)
Nomad
Lifetype Expert

Postby phunkphorce on Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:36 pm

phunkphorce
Lifetype Expert

Postby Nomad on Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:50 pm

thnx Oscar :)

what was it I missed then? can't seem to see it?

Nomad
Lifetype Expert

Postby phunkphorce on Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:05 pm

You missed a few things in the getGrouperVideoLink() function.

Those magic numbers are the top in the url.substr() call are not just "magic", they're supposed to tell you whether a given URL is a grouper URL or not, and then they extract the video id (which is the number after the parameter)

Then you had to find out the "real" link to their video player by looking at the HTML code of one of their pages so that you can go from a grouper.com page: http://grouper.com/video/MediaDetails.aspx?id=1710177 to grouper.com's stand-alone video player here: http://grouper.com/mtg/mtgPlayer.swf?gv ... 1_extid~-1 (just try the links in your browser and you'll see what I mean)

It wasn't difficult, it just requires some investigation :)
phunkphorce
Lifetype Expert

Postby Nomad on Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:39 am

excellent - works perfect .. maybe you could add that to the next upgrade :)
Nomad
Lifetype Expert

Postby phunkphorce on Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:44 am

Yes, it has already been included in LT 1.1.5 :)
phunkphorce
Lifetype Expert

Re: Adding video sources?

Postby fibercool on Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:59 pm

Thanks for this post, i was really useful for adding a couple of video sites for me ;)
fibercool

Return to LifeType 2.0 Development