navigational header menu

navigational header menu

Postby jackie_sean on Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:44 pm

LifeType is great, I have two questions.

1. love this website: http://www.brainlogs.de/
How can i have (like the brainlogs.de) a header menu accessible from anywhere within the website as a user.
2. How can I change the template in order to have effect on my entire blog (the global aspect). I went to Administration -> Global Settings -> Templates and change the template name from the dropdown list but the blog still doesnt change.

Thank you.
jackie_sean

LifeType Version: 1.2.8

Re: navigational header menu

Postby jondaley on Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:49 am

1. It depends on the template, but basically, the menu is simply html, so you can put it wherever you'd like. You can look in the html source of the brainlogs page, and see the javascript they are using to generate it. I don't know if that javascript is dynamically generated using php/database calls, or if they statically create it. Statically creating it would be easiest, but you could have a plugin that generated the menu too. Here is the file they use for the content of the menus: http://www.spektrum.de/blogs/js/ui/menu_links.js and the menu code:http://www.brainlogs.de/blogs/js/ui/menu.js

And this is the actual link that displays the menu when you mouseover:
<li><a href="http://www.scilogs.de/" class="start" onMouseover="dropdownmenu(this, event, menu0, '')" onMouseout="delayhidemenu()"><em>SciLogs</em></a></li>

2. you're changing it in the wrong place - the global section sets the default template for new blogs only. To change your template (or any other settings) for an existing blog, you go to the "control center", to the left of the administration tab.
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

LifeType Version: 1.2.11 devel branch

Postby jackie_sean on Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:44 pm

Thanks for the answer.
For 1, I've got it working, at least one part ... still working on some ideas.
2. for this one, I think i wasnt clear, I want to connect as admin on the website and change the template of the whole website including the first page of the website. Can I do this just as a template change or do I have to change directly into the code myself ?

As a user, from my understanding, on Control Centre I can only change my own blog's look&feel - provided the admin of the website had changed that option "Load Users Templates First".

Am I correct ?

Thanks
jackie_sean

LifeType Version: 1.2.8

Postby jondaley on Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:34 pm

No, the "load users template first" option is more complicated than that. What that is for is so you can put stuff in the "default" template directory, and then if you put "load default template first" (or whatever it is called), then you can make it so that users cannot even modify those files in their templates, or rather, if they do, they won't be used.

Some people use this feature to allow users to only edit css, or the about.template page, but that's it, etc.
Note, that all of this template editing talk is assuming you have installed the template editor plugin, and allow your users to edit templates in the first place.

Another way the "load users template" option is useful is that you can override the commentform.template (or any file, really) and then you only have to modify it in one place (the default directory) rather than modifying every single template to add a plugin to it (say authimage, or something like that).

That option has nothing to do with actually switching "which" template you want to use for a particular blog, only certain files within the template. So, you can still go to the control center to pick which template you want for a particular blog.
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

LifeType Version: 1.2.11 devel branch

Postby martinh on Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:30 am

jondaley wrote:I don't know if that javascript is dynamically generated using php/database calls, or if they statically create it.

It's static. :)
martinh

LifeType Version: 1.2.11

Return to Templates