Templates - reducing file amount!

Templates - reducing file amount!

Postby Nomad on Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:54 pm

Hi Guys

So sorry not to have been around for so long. Sadly I've been very ill with heart problems and whilst not out of the woods yet I can at least get back to some work....

Ok So a while back I was looking at how the default template folder worked and have been running some tests with it. I've found i can strip nearly all of the files from the main template folders except obviously images (Or imgs) and the css style sheet.

Fasttrack - I have this down to 6 files, the css, footer, header, main, panel, post, the img folder and the screen shot - all the other files are being called from the default folder. Similar with darkblue mirror (Nice new template btw ^_^).

I'm not sure yet how templates are being worked in LT 2.0 but I would say that we can drastically reduce the size of the templates and get to a more standardized. uniform set-up. This will make it far easier to buid or make new templates...

I'm not 100% finished on the tests but hopefully by end of this month...
Blog Ireland - now with video posting
Normally most write something meaningful here so many to choose from yet most oft ignored.
Nomad
Lifetype Expert

Re: Templates - reducing file amount!

Postby jondaley on Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:56 am

that would be great!
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

LifeType Version: 1.2.11 devel branch

Re: Templates - reducing file amount!

Postby Nomad on Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:42 pm

I've been meaning to get back about this.

ok essentially this is working from a new install but with a bit of work, I see no reason why an existing install cannot be adapted for it to work. It will mean a lot of css editing for the owner (I.E. those who use LT as there own multi user platform like myself).

So it takes any template set down to just 2 files and one folder! Those being the css, the screenshot and the img folder

So an example template set would then be

EXAMPLE_TEMPLATE
|
|___ style.css
|
|____screenshot.jpg
|
|_____ Images [folder]

I have a test system working locally with a setup exactly like this, all be it just using the standard template at the moment.

This then means that the system works on the raw principle as has long been encouraged by Zen Garden, where style and design is handled in css and not in any way in the html. It means that style/design can easily be changed and adapted to suit any user.

I'm still working on how to use the format but I will be implementing it at my own place in the near future - some templates I may have to drop but a lot of them I reckon it will be easy enough to convert, then making new ones should be relatively simple from there on in...

Anyway give it a try and see....

oh yeah btw - all the .template files are placed in the templates/default folder the default favicon is also in there - putting one in teh template folder you are making should over ride the default.
Blog Ireland - now with video posting
Normally most write something meaningful here so many to choose from yet most oft ignored.
Nomad
Lifetype Expert

Return to Templates