Porting templates from 1.1 to 1.2

Porting templates from 1.1 to 1.2

Postby nOoOb on Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:35 am

Hi,

There : http://wiki.lifetype.net/index.php/Upda ... feType_1.2
You can find all informations about porting a template from 1.1 to 1.2.

But I'm asking myself few questions :

Is this list comprehensive ? The list tells about :
Paging of comments
Comment form for authenticated users
Automatic page titles
Anti-Spam tests

But when I try an "old" templates, my example is with the 3-column-liquid, the problem is that links (as administrator for example) have disapeared. I suppose I have to do something about that too shouldn't I ? I don't think doing the other changes will change that point, will it ?

In a word, if I want to port those templates, can I only do the 4 things told in the wiki page about porting or must I look for any other bugs at any time ?

Also, when I try the few templates I downloaded for 1.2, some of them seemed to be buggy, examples like no link for administrator or things like that. Shouldn't I first try to fix that before porting other templates ?

Sorry for all those silly questions, but it's the beginning of my Lifetype experience, I prefer not to loose time on stupid points, I promise I'll try to learn quick and to be ready as soon as I can.
nOoOb

Postby jondaley on Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:52 pm

When you say "buggy", what do you mean? I don't think all template authors want links to the admin page for everyone to see, since most (all?) visitors won't need it.

The 3-column-liquid template doesn't have a link to the admin, did it used to?

You can look for other bugs at the same time - common bugs are having random non-ascii characters - some of the templates were created/updated by non-ascii users, and they don't notice that they put strange characters in them.

Templates shouldn't use any plugin code. You can leave the plugin code in there, commented out, but all templates should work for any lifetype user.
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

LifeType Version: 1.2.11 devel branch

Postby nOoOb on Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:58 pm

Yes you're right, I didn't even thought about that.

But imagine a guy creates a blog on your platform, a big big noob. He chooses a template without the admin link, how will he go to the admin section of his blog ?
I say that because I found a platform created with Lifetype, and most of the blogs created in it were totally empty. The common point with all those empty blogs was that there was no admin link. I guess people just didn't find how to go there and didn't know what the problem was.
All that is only guessing (conjecture ? does this word exist in english ?) perhaps I'm wrong, but I also noticed that the blogs that weren't empty all seemed to have an admin link.

Thanks for the advises, I'll keep them in head.
nOoOb

Postby jondaley on Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:49 pm

I guess so. But, they knew enough to go to the summary.php page to start right? They can login in from that page too - in fact, some sites have the logout_url set to summary.php, which means the users don't ever have to use admin.php directly.

I suspect the reason for the blank blogs is that people sign up to see what it looks like, but don't really want a blog, but it was free, so they did it.
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

LifeType Version: 1.2.11 devel branch

Postby nOoOb on Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:47 am

Sure, you must right,
I thought of the summary and login in while falling asleep yesterday and thought that Lifetype member probably had a good laugh reading my post.
But I hope not to be a noob anymore in few months.
nOoOb

Return to Templates