YAML template

Postby Nomad on Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:58 pm

just had a brief look over this myself..

We use and recommend this !DOCTYPE to trigger Standards Mode in browsers with multiple rendering modes:

Code: Select all
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

Whilst it may have some functionality that leaves me very unimpressed to start with...
Blog Ireland - now with video posting
Normally most write something meaningful here so many to choose from yet most oft ignored.
Nomad
Lifetype Expert

Postby coldtobi on Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:10 am

reto wrote:The YAML License (CC-A 2.0) is not compliant with the GPL and therefore we can only provide "yet another template for LT based on YAML" but not use it as the default (technically) template.

Mmm, I just read the other thread about the template. (http://forums.lifetype.net/viewtopic.php?p=37246#37246)
The idea i got is, that my YAML template does not need to use YAML to perform. YAML is only used for shipping-around the CSS bugs introduced in the particular browsers. So maybe there is another solution, or some CSS-xpert here can help out us with a free YAML?

Beside from the CSS,
I think, modularizing the layouting process like I did (the different renderes) would (as example) make it more easier to automatically include code needed by the individual plugins. The plugins then could simply provide the snippets needed as a "renderer".

Also, I could think about a plugin, which could assist the user to assemble their own templates. Like choosing what content (renderer) should be go to what div on the screen, and in which order they should appear. (Unfortuanlty, I am strong in C(++), not in PHP.)

Because of the licensing, should we maybe ask the author of YAML. Maybe he will relicense (the old version) of YAML for lifetype?
coldtobi

LifeType Version: 1.2.7

YUI is much better then YAML-Templates

Postby cocopapa on Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:26 am

Hi

I am really happy to hear you talking about yui. YAML-Templates is actually crab. It messes up your css with lots of doublicates and the licence is some kind of moneygrave. I developed YAML templates and it was always a horror modifying them. Since we moved to use the YUI Framework our customers and we are more then happy as we were able to decrease the CSS to a minimum.

I would be happy to help you setting up YUI Templates for Lifetype. Meanwhile I developed a YUI Template set for TYPO3. 1 CSS and more then 1000 possibilities to choose from to setup your own individual Template. It is really fun working with YUI.

It has a GNU compliant Licence and is maintained by a big user community. Another big plus to use YUI.

Instead of using YAML-Templates you perhaps could integrate the REAL YAML(TM) Framework into LifeType http://www.yaml.org
cocopapa

Postby reto on Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:25 pm

Hi cocopapa

Well, I actually think YAML is the most advanced an cleanest XHTML/CSS Framework out there right now. It's straight forward and keeps a far more "semantic" markup than say YUI Grids. But the licence is not ideal and we are already using YUI, so why not having a template based on YUI Grids to see how it's performing. (That's why I brought it up once...)

We would be very happy if you could build a frontend template which is really very clean (e.g. black/white) in terms of "design" but brings all the features we need for our templates.

If you could provide such a template that would be very appreciated!

reto
reto | wiki | Downloads
reto
Lifetype Expert

Postby Nomad on Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:27 pm

Reto - I just posted about this that I came across (LT 2.0 Development)

http://psyc.horm.org/

That is basically exactly what I was describing - plus the beauty of it is - we limit what the user can do or implement so they don't break anything and end result is they can basically personalise there template/s
Normally most write something meaningful here so many to choose from yet most oft ignored.
Nomad
Lifetype Expert

Postby reto on Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:08 am

yes, I thought you where thinking about something like this. I still think this is something we should implement as a plugin - probably as a feature of our template editor plugin.
Having a userfriendly interface to edit templates and choosing the right xhtml/css framework are IMO different topics that can be discussed separately.

thanks for providing an example, though.

cheers, reto
reto | wiki | Downloads
reto
Lifetype Expert

Postby Nomad on Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:13 am

reto wrote:yes, I thought you where thinking about something like this. I still think this is something we should implement as a plugin - probably as a feature of our template editor plugin.
Having a userfriendly interface to edit templates and choosing the right xhtml/css framework are IMO different topics that can be discussed separately.

thanks for providing an example, though.

cheers, reto

Well I was thinking the same thing - I'm having a friend look it over at the moment and we'll try get it implemented as a plug-in of it's own or as an extension of the existing plugin.. probably as a stand alone plugin which i think will work better....

problem may be maintaining compatibility with LT 2.0 which is due out next I believe?

:)
Nomad
Lifetype Expert

Postby reto on Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:48 pm

Don't worry about LT2.0 compatibility too much. We didn't change the plugin API (there's only one minor change in how the pipline works, which is not relevant for that plugin).
The whole Admin interface will be AJAXified, though. This means that the look and feel of the admin interface of plugins written for lt 1.x will slightly be different from the rest. But that's just a matter of adapting the new AJAX code provided.

I'm happy to see that you work on such a plugin. Let us know, if you have a working demo :)

cheers and a happy new year!
reto | wiki | Downloads
reto
Lifetype Expert

Postby coldtobi on Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:04 pm

I am working on updating the template to support YAML 3.0.4.

If you want to take a preview, please check out my "playfield"
http://blog.frost.de/

The most important new feature is, that the layout can be easily created by the YAML builder http://builder.yaml.de.

More after I got my nap...
coldtobi

LifeType Version: 1.2.7

Previous

Return to Templates