How to use Lifetype as a CMS?

How to use Lifetype as a CMS?

Postby gumby on Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:59 am

Just curious if there are templates available that would allow me to use Lifetype as a CMS and a blog.

By that I mean instead of showing a series of blog entries vertically in typical blog fashion, I'd like it to look more like this site itself:

With category headings such as "News, Features, Downloads, Development, Support, About Us, etc" as part of a global navigation bar;

Each category holding A LOT of content underneath in the form of subcategories and detailed content pages;

Content entries that can be flagged to appear first instead of being pushed down when newer ones are added;

I usually use CMS Made Simple but have really gotten used to the ease-of-use and speed of Lifetype.

Thanks!
gumby

Postby phunkphorce on Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:50 am

You could maybe implement most of this with a custom template, but things like marking posts not to go down the list when they are old will need some changes to core code... Lifetype is designed to be a blog, not a CMS and therefore some of the advanced features of CMSs are not available.
phunkphorce
Lifetype Expert

Postby jondaley on Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:01 am

I use LifeType as a CMS here: http://limedaley.com
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

LifeType Version: 1.2.11 devel branch

Postby jondaley on Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:04 am

And I meant to say, no core code changes except for:

/home/limedaley/www>svn diff class
Index: class/action/admin/adminupdateblogsettingsaction.class.php
- $this->_blogInfo->setAbout( Textfilter::filterAllHTML($this->_request->getValue( "blogAbout" )));
- $this->_blogInfo->setBlog( Textfilter::filterAllHTML($this->_request->getValue( "blogName" )));
+ $this->_blogInfo->setAbout( $this->_request->getValue( "blogAbout" ));
+ $this->_blogInfo->setBlog( $this->_request->getValue( "blogName" ));
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

LifeType Version: 1.2.11 devel branch

Re: How to use Lifetype as a CMS?

Postby myside on Fri May 16, 2008 12:01 am

I used similar code changes you just posted. Not only am I using a blog as a CMS, but I am also using it as a replacement for summary.php It makes user systems more centralized, and adding content, as I have it now, is as easy as picking a category that uses a custom URL, and a post to add content. I am having a lot of fun with this idea.
myside

Return to Templates