Template problems - many templates badly ported

Template problems - many templates badly ported

Postby knkk on Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:04 am

I think this is a serious issue with LT.

The templates are not plug and play - I am having to spend enormous time checking that everything has been done properly, after discovering that there were issues in one of them, and checking others then to see that almost all have issues. Examples of issues:

1. "About me" is not ported into some templates.

2. When displaying comments, some templates don't check if the person who commented has left a URL - they assume he did, though the standard template puts an if loop to check.

3. Some of them do not give the syndication links.

4. Many do not look the same in IE and FF. Fixing that can take ages.

5. The calendar is not formatted properly (mostly in terms of center-aligning the dates - this usually takes adding a few lines to the CSS, but it should have been done).

6. The headings for blocks on the side panels should either all be title case or all lower case. They are mixed up in most places.

7. When I click on the link for a specific category of posts, the heading (e. g. Category: General) does not come up in the next page in many templates.

8. Search results show upto 300 characters of the post in some templates, and just headings in others.

There are more, especially in look and feel. Minor, but they take away from a thoroughly slick experience. The final blogger cares a lot about look and feel.

I realize LT is free, but that does not mean it should not be thoroughly professional, since I am guessing the objective, given the sheer effort that has gone in, is to make it the most popular opensource blogging software.

My fixes are specific to my site (I add some additional features), and I am not sure I am doing a professional job either, since I learn something new with each additional template that I have go back and fix in earlier ones. Someone should look this up for future users. All templates should be screened by the core team before they are made available to users.

Thank you for your time.
knkk

LifeType Version: 1.2.5

Postby jondaley on Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:20 pm

You are entitled to your opinion, but I think it is better to have the "core" developers working on code, rather than templates, that most anybody can work on. If you don't contribute to the project, how do you expect it to get any better?

I think we have had about three or four templates contributed (or modified) since the 1.2 release. If users don't show interest in it, there isn't much we can do about it, except stop development to work on html.

This is a community project, and we need users to help out. There have been a couple recently who have posted plugins, templates and are starting to work on more code - that is great.

We didn't get to be the best blogging platform by just having a handful of folks working on it. Lots of the templates and plugins have been written by third parties.
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

LifeType Version: 1.2.11 devel branch

Postby knkk on Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:52 pm

I completely agree. Maybe I sounded a bit hyper :), but I did not expect that work, and when it came up and took over a week now, I thought I'd point it out.

I am not really a professional programmar, as anyone following my posts would have figured by now - I am doing it under duress, and am very slow :(. Whenever I get into a problem and solve it myself, I still post it on the forums - that is the extent to which I try to help LT.

However, I am still not very clear on the templates, since it is not plain HTML, and moreover, I do not have a clear understanding of what all a template even needs to have, forget where. I have been solving template bugs, but not in any professional way - whenever I see something, I fix it there. And since my fixes are not professionally tested, I cannot submit them.

I was just hoping my post would sensitize the core team to what I thought was a serious issue.

I have been working on migrating from another blogging solution to LT for a while now, and I plan to submit all the code (I have made a list of files I needed to hack, and where I needed to hack in each of the files) to the LT team - including the migration scripts - so that they can see if they can provide a professional guide / incorporate some in future code/APIs.

Thank you for your time!
knkk

LifeType Version: 1.2.5

Return to Templates