Wiki structure

Wiki structure

Postby Sock on Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:44 am

I know someone in the mailing list mentioned it so i'll say something here as well. I have a small idea of how the wiki structure can lean toward. please post comments and ideas as well. This is a rough idea of what the main page, aka HomePage, would look like to me.

Code: Select all
Plog (Plog -> WhatIsPlog)
 + Features (PlogFeatures)
 + versions (PlogVersions)
 + - 0.3.1 (Plog0301)
 + - + ChangeLog (Changelog:0301)
 + - + Talk:0301
 + - 0.3.2 (Plog0302)
 + - + ChangeLog (Changelog:0302)
 + - + Talk:0302
etc.....
 + - RoadMap (RoadMap)

Installation
 + Requirements (Install:Requirements)
 + Unpacking and Uploading (Install:Files)
 + - Notes on file and directory permissions (Install:FilesNotes)
 + The installation wizard (Install:Wizard)
 + - Database (Install:WizyDB)
 + - Admin user (Install:WizyUser)

Configuration (PlogConfig)
 + Configure the server settings (Config:GlobalSettings)
 + Configure blog settings (Config:BlogSettings)
 + Configure user settings and info (Config:User)
 + Configure Security (Config:Security)
 + - Black lists (Config:BlackLists)
 + - Content, aka keywords (Config:Keywords)

Beginer's Guide (BeginersGuide)
 + Adding Entries (HowTo:AddEntries)
 + Add new blogs (HowTo:AddNewBlogs)
 + Add new users (HowTo:AddNewUsers)
 + Create albums (HowTo:CreateAlbums)
 + Upload files (HowTo:UploadFiles)
 + Adding Links and Link Catagoires (HowTo:Links)

User's Guide (UsersGuide)
 + Tweak your blog (HowTo:TweakBlogInfo)
 + Use a different template (HowTo:UseTemplates)
 + - Making your own (HowTo:MakeTemplates)
 + - Upload ready made templates (HowTo:UploadTemplates)

Plugins (Plugins)
 + Karma (Plugin:Karma)
 + WhoOnline (Plugin:WhoOnline)
 + Classified (Plugin:Classified)
 + Gallery (Plugin:Gallery)
etc...

Notes (PlogNotes)
 + Credits (Credits)
 + Links (Links)
 + Other resources (Resources)

I advise keeping to strict rules of naming and placement. Its the easist way to keep things organaized. Also creating Talk sections for each item to minimize chatter. Would be like a sandbox for each item.

~ Nick
Sock
Lifetype Expert

Postby markwu on Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:59 am

Hi Sock:

I am also thinking this, how about change the PHPwiki to Mediawiki ....

I just try the new mediaWiki 1.3b4, it has some great features, like discussion .... I think it can save a lot of "talk" page ...

How do you think about it?

Regards, Mark

** Currently, I use pmWiki in my site .. :D
markwu
Lifetype Expert

yes, change is good

Postby Sock on Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:47 am

Currently the site is running phpwiki, it wouldn't be hard to modify the templates to have an automatic link of 'TalkAbout/<pagename>' somewhere inside the page. I'm going to be starting a beta wiki on my own site and once its somewhat complete I can just transfer over the wiki files from my site to the production site. I use phpwiki atm, i'm quite fond of it. Don't know how open the admin would be to moving things around. Opinions oscar?
Sock
Lifetype Expert

Postby phunkphorce on Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:55 am

I think phpwiki has been working fine so far... What would be the real advantages of mediawiki?

Besides, I don't see why we should also allow discussions in the wiki! Isn't it enough with the forums, guys? :) I think that the wiki should be used for documentation and the forums/mailing lists for discussions... that's what they were designed for, methinks ;)
phunkphorce
Lifetype Expert

Postby Sock on Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:54 pm

yeah, good point about the forums. I'm starting on a demo today.
Sock
Lifetype Expert

Postby phunkphorce on Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:41 am

but in general the suggested new structure looks good to me! I would also a section on "tips & tricks" :)
phunkphorce
Lifetype Expert

Postby phunkphorce on Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:07 am

sock, are you working on this? will you also take care of re-using the current contents in the new structure or is this just a proposal of the structure and you're leaving it up to somebody else to do the work? (just wondering...)
phunkphorce
Lifetype Expert

Postby Sock on Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:01 am

Ok, i've started a demo on the advised structure. It can be seen here: http://plog.socklabs.com. I'm keeping all of the old content but there will be changes in structure and design. Things might be moved around a bit but there is alot of good info, no need to trash it for the sake of change. Opinions and help welcome. No real date set as to when it will be complete but i'm working on it.
~ Nick
Sock
Lifetype Expert

Postby Sock on Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:41 am

Sock wrote:Ok, i've started a demo on the advised structure. It can be seen here: http://plog.socklabs.com. I'm keeping all of the old content but there will be changes in structure and design. Things might be moved around a bit but there is alot of good info, no need to trash it for the sake of change. Opinions and help welcome. No real date set as to when it will be complete but i'm working on it.

Ok, about half of the structure is there and i'm filling in content as I hit it. This is also a wiki so anyone can make changes and adjustments as they see fit. Take note of the version and changelog pages and see how its working using anchors. I'm also using a 'Catagory:SubCatagory' structure. This way we can easily classify new pages. I'd like opinions and ideas from everyone on how its going and where it can go.
~ Nick
Sock
Lifetype Expert

Postby brad on Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:50 pm

Sock wrote:Ok, i've started a demo on the advised structure. It can be seen here: http://plog.socklabs.com. I'm keeping all of the old content but there will be changes in structure and design. Things might be moved around a bit but there is alot of good info, no need to trash it for the sake of change. Opinions and help welcome. No real date set as to when it will be complete but i'm working on it.
~ Nick

I get no response from plog.socklabs.com

any downtime, or is it just my connection?
Brad Liang
brad
Lifetype Expert

Downtime

Postby Sock on Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:31 am

Yeah, subdomains have been down for the better part of the day. Don't know why, seem to be back up now.
Sock
Lifetype Expert

Postby phunkphorce on Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:05 am

I just get an empty folder from plog.socklabs.com... Guess I'll have to try later :)
phunkphorce
Lifetype Expert

Postby Sock on Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:44 am

I'm almost ashamed to say this but here I go.
phpwiki on my site has died. Don't know why, don't know how but now all I get is a blank screen. After I get back from work tomorrow I'll try to get it back up and running but for the night i don't know what to do. Bah. I'll probly just set it up locally and work on it that way and post it when its complete.I'll keep everyone updated.
Sock
Lifetype Expert

Postby phunkphorce on Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:49 am

sorry, hope you didn't lose all what you had previously done! let us know when it is back again and we can comment on it :) Oh, and thanks a lot ;)
phunkphorce
Lifetype Expert

Postby Sock on Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:30 pm

markwu wrote:I am also thinking this, how about change the PHPwiki to Mediawiki ....

I just try the new mediaWiki 1.3b4, it has some great features, like discussion .... I think it can save a lot of "talk" page ...

How do you think about it?

I've looked over it and i'm now using it instead of phpwiki on my site. I really like it. What i'll probly do is finish what i've already started in phpwiki and give the option. MediaWiki has the option to import info from phpwiki so we are oke either way.

If anyone wants to take a peek at the VERY cool features that media wiki has to offer take a look at my wiki: http://wiki.socklabs.com. Its best features are user access/accounts, discussions and admin config. Also has a very powerfull template system

Thoughts? Comments? Opinions?.

~ Nick

PS.
I made a zip snapshot of the current plog wiki and have a copy of it running on my laptop. I'm about 45% complete. I'll figure out a way to get it public and get some ideas on its structure and formatting. I'm finding out that I'm actually having to write all of the stuff that I wanted to see but didn't realize it didn't have. This is going strait on the resume as 'technical writing'. :)
Sock
Lifetype Expert

Next

Return to Documentation