What is needed?

What is needed?

Postby phunkphorce on Thu May 20, 2004 12:14 pm

This is a rough plan of what we should do with the documentation:

1) have a look at what we have, and correct any mistakes if any
2) think of what we're missing (for example, how to add a resource, how to manage resources, etc)
3) think about how to reorganize everything
4) keep everything up-to-date, specially before new releases

Feel free to comment on this!

Oscar
phunkphorce
Lifetype Expert

Postby stevek on Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:00 pm

well, here's what I think is desperately needed:

http://wiki.lifetype.net/index.php/Sou ... ganization

that page to not be completely unfinished! :)

I am trying to hack pLog to integrate it into somebody's website. This is largely a matter of template editing but occasionally I need to alter the actual code itself. For example, I replaced the main 0-level menu in the admin section with images, which required editing the menurenderer class. Owing to the extreme object orientation here it is sometimes very difficult to work out where the necessary function is actually stored - it took me absolutely ages to find that menurenderer class.

Having a clear document of what functionality is contained in which class/ in which folder, would be absolutely wonderful.

thanks! :)
stevek

Postby phunkphorce on Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:43 pm

Did you take a look at the API? It's under http://www.lifetype.net/api.

Also if you have problems trying to work out of which type is a certain object, try using php's get_class.

Other than that, keeping a page like the one above would be quite difficult, as there usually are many changes from version to version... Suggestions are welcome!
phunkphorce
Lifetype Expert

Postby Guest on Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:11 pm

phunkphorce wrote:Did you take a look at the API? It's under http://www.lifetype.net/api.

Also if you have problems trying to work out of which type is a certain object, try using php's get_class.

Other than that, keeping a page like the one above would be quite difficult, as there usually are many changes from version to version... Suggestions are welcome!

no, i didnt find that API page.

thanks for the advice :)

if the source_code_organisation wiki page is too hard to keep updated, can I suggest you put the advice above on it? ... that way people browsing the wiki will be redirected to the better api docs and tipped off about get_class, rather than left scratching their heads :)

Postby jondaley on Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:44 pm

I added it - but remember - that's what a Wiki is for - anyone can add useful information to help out the next guy.
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

LifeType Version: 1.2.11 devel branch

Postby Sarit on Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:44 am

Hi,
I'm going around the wiki and the forums and I feel like a lot of the information is scattered.
I think basic, simple things like how to install a plugin etc are missing. Maybe changing the wiki into a more detailed, organized frontpage would be good because it always looks like I can't find it myself on the wiki but it's there and I get the link in the forums.

I know this is probably not a nice thing to say or to compare to, but the WordPress wiki is very intuitive and detailed. I'll be willing to help writing them (once I learn how do to some of those things! :) )

Sarit
Sarit

Postby jondaley on Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:45 am

That would be great. There have been a couple attempts to get some better documentation, but it hasn't ever gotten very far. Phunkphorce did get the http://www.lifetype.net/api page, which is good, though more for developers than users.
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

LifeType Version: 1.2.11 devel branch

Postby Sarit on Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:09 am

Well, I've tried to register to the wiki but I can't figure out how to do that :)
Sarit

Postby phunkphorce on Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:46 am

Registration is disabled due to incessant spam. I will create a user for you and p.m you with the details when ready!
phunkphorce
Lifetype Expert

Postby Sarit on Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:14 pm

Sarit

Return to Documentation