User manual - anywhere?

User manual - anywhere?

Postby michaelg on Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:52 am

Can someone please tell me if there is a user manual and or help file somewhere - I hate doing a job twice.
michaelg

Postby jondaley on Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:28 am

The only official one is wiki.lifetype.net. Various users have started their own "more user friendly" version a couple of times, but generally they disappear without ever getting much written.
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

LifeType Version: 1.2.11 devel branch

Postby michaelg on Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:36 am

Sounds like a job for International Rescue - Can we pay someone to do this job?

Any takers? make me an offer - I will pay and we will make it available for everyone to download.
michaelg

Postby phunkphorce on Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:51 am

what's "international rescue"?
phunkphorce
Lifetype Expert

Postby michaelg on Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:57 am

Thunderbirds are go .. my friend - Must be a UK thing.

Visit http://www.thunderbirdsonline.com for more infornmation
michaelg

Postby reto on Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:33 am

Hi michaelg

With our recent redesign of structure and layout, we prepared the wiki for a user manual. we have already started a small "LifeType Documentation Team" within the core team. This basically means, more consistency within structure and content, but does not garantee a user manual within x weeks. We work on it if we feel like spending some time for it. Although we see the urgent need for a nice user manual.

any help is apreciated, you may contact me or post here.
reto | wiki | Downloads
reto
Lifetype Expert

Postby michaelg on Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:56 am

Can I countribute $$$ to make this happen quicker - get someone in the team to focus on the document. It's a good product and the user document is best written by the team - you guys know more about the application than anyone else and it will take you less time.

The $$$ is just an incentive for the time spent.

Any takers?
michaelg

Postby reto on Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:30 am

Well, thank you very much for your offer. Do you have a milestone set for a somewhat finished manual? As I cannot guarantee to finish something within x weeks I wouldn't dare taking your offer. But maybe someone else is taking the task - anyone???

Two thoughts:

1. The Team would be very happy to get donations. You may "bind" your donation to documentational work... We are planning our first Team meeting this summer for brainstorming and taking the project "to the next level"

2. maybe we should start with a bounty service, what do you (Team!) think? (https://www.bountysource.com/) - or any sort of technical/handmade implementation of the bounty system...
reto | wiki | Downloads
reto
Lifetype Expert

Postby michaelg on Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:06 am

Timescales - As soon as possible - like 2 weeks?
michaelg

Postby jondaley on Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:09 am

Two weeks seems short to me, and I would guess reto would be the most likely to get it done, so if he can't...
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

LifeType Version: 1.2.11 devel branch

Postby Nomad on Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:47 pm

I've actually been doing some work on the basic settings lately. No where near ready though I have a few screen shots sorted. I did sort of get some very bsic howto started here http://blogirelandie-notice-board.blogi ... gory/24/52 and I was going to start updating this with screen shots - Wish I could do flash or the likes, then I could do small tutorial movies.

Anyway with looking after the main system and other work I haven't had much time to finish anything really constructive. Maybe after I get the system fixed and stable I would have time but two weeks to complete? I could possibly get something very basic together in that time but it would be basic.

Suppose though if that is just for the general every day user - thats an option. - i.e. do this, do that etc u can pm me and I'd be willing to look at it. I know pretty much how most of the admin functions/plug ins work...

A more advanced user manual could then be developed for sys admins but most of these guys pick there info up at the wiki - I tend to live there most of the time lol
Blog Ireland - now with video posting
Normally most write something meaningful here so many to choose from yet most oft ignored.
Nomad
Lifetype Expert

Return to Documentation