Status of User Guide

Status of User Guide

Postby newtech1 on Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:58 am

I see different posts about starting a user guide, but no evidence of a user guide. Or any real sign of a user guide even being started.

Isn't there any pLog users that have a user guide? I find it hard to believe that there are no pLog blog communities that don't have tons of questions from new users.

I am more than willing to work on whatever has been started already. If nothing has been started, then let me know the best way of getting something started that people could edit. I know nothing about wikis, but it sounds like it may be something that could be used. Or I could maybe use a FAQ on my site and create special usernames and passwords for those who want to help with this project.

The type of userguide I am looking for would be like the phpbb userguide:
http://www.christianblogsites.com/userguide.html
newtech1

Postby jondaley on Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:09 am

Yes, I think there have been a couple people who talked about it, I remember blogpigs and blacksnday wanting to get something going, but I don't think they got very far. I would recommend working on the wiki, so then if you disappear like the previous guys, lifetype will still benefit from whatever work you do, rather than have it disappear, and have someone ask the same question in a a year.

I hadn't really done much with wikis before, but they are pretty easy - each one is different, in that it uses different tags to change the font size, make links, etc. but after you get used to it, it isn't that bad.

We had problems with spammers, and so it got locked down for new registrations, so if you don't already have a login, you should ask phunkphorce for one. We want people to contribute, we just don't want spam.
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

LifeType Version: 1.2.11 devel branch

Will help, too

Postby srwinters on Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:10 pm

Hi folks,
I'm willing to help with this, also. I'm planning to use the wiki. I'll probably start more on the administrator side by writing an article on upgrading from 1.01 to 1.02b.

Steve
srwinters

Postby Sarit on Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:03 am

I think I'll start writing a little, myself.
Sarit

Postby newtech1 on Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:19 am

I am hoping by this weekend to start adding info to the Wiki. I am thinking there should be a section where we could enter cutomized info, on what files/folders to go to when you want to edit certain things, i.e. changing descriptions in admin panel, editing log-in screen, etc.

Does a developer what to create a section for this, or do you want us to start something and then you can rearrange it how you want it.
newtech1

Postby jondaley on Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:32 pm

You should be able write the pages and then phunkphorce can add a link to it from one of the "special" pages.

You can either link it in from somewhere you do have access to, or else just create a page out in the middle of nowhere, and have it linked up later.
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

End User Knowledge Base/FAQ

Postby newtech1 on Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:53 pm

I probably am not going to be able to post the info into Wiki by this weekend, but until I do, here is a link to a FAQ site that I am creating for using Lifetype. I have much to add, but it is a start. I will be adding to it daily. Plus when a person enters a question that I do not have, I am notified and can then add the answer-great program.

At some point I am only going to allow my end users to access the page, but for now it is available for the public.
http://www.christianblogsites.com/appie ... pieskb/kb1
Richard D'Andrea Dover
http://www.christianblogsites.com
newtech1

User Guide in Wiki

Postby newtech1 on Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:31 pm

I have posted the start of a Blog User Guide at
http://wiki.lifetype.net/index.php/PLog ... umentation

I think there should be a table of contents at this location. Maybe a hierarchy like:

Documentation
Blog Users
User Guide
FAQ's
Multi-Blog Developers
Developer Guide
FAQ's

Blog Users info would be for blog end users

Multi-Blog Developers info would be those like myself who has created a blog site for end users. This would have all the info I have gathered from the forum, etc. on how to make lifetype function properly for a multi-blog site.

I am willing to provide info, but I have no time to figure out how to create hierarchies, table of contents etc. for Wiki pages.

BTW, what is the Wiki code to underline text?
Richard D'Andrea Dover
http://www.christianblogsites.com
newtech1

Postby jondaley on Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:06 pm

looks good. Hopefully I won't discourage you, since I think you are the first user who said he was going to write a manual who actually did it... but, you might want to consider linking to other parts of the wiki, and then putting your text there, ie. I see that you are putting in some text about the plugins, it would be great to have your text on the specific plugin page, and then link to it from your document, that way people won't have to update text in two places if something changes.
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

Postby newtech1 on Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:51 pm

Any suggestions are great. Bring them on.

Do I have full access to edit comments in plug-in descriptions? If so, I would do this because there certainly needs to be more.

Regarding linking to other parts of the Wiki, I am still trying to figure out how it all works. Not sure how all the table of contents and all that works. I agree that there should not be duplications of entries.

At this time I will work on the information and if someone wants to take the time to create some kind of organized structure that would be great. I barely can make a living right now and don't have time to figure out the organizational structure of the Wiki. I think that is another project in itself.

Any idea how to make text bold with wiki code? I read somewhere how to do linking. Any fast answer to this question?
newtech1

Postby jondaley on Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:30 pm

there should be some help documents when you are on the edit window. If there isn't, click on the link back to the wiki creator's site, and they have documentation on all the markup that is used.

As I understand it, there are two groups of users, phunkphorce, and everyone else. So, as we are in the "everyone else" category, we have access to edit most pages on the wiki, and just can't edit the front page, and a couple other of the "special" pages. So, you can go ahead and edit the plugin pages.
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

Postby markwu on Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:56 am

I am do the same thing, but in different way.

I just try to use flash demo to let use understand the lifetype.

Try to look at: http://wiki.lifetype.org.tw/index.php , sorry, only Chinese at this moment.

You also can see one of the example here:http://wiki.lifetype.org.tw/tutor/tutorial/Add_Post.htm

Mark
markwu
Lifetype Expert

Return to Documentation