translation to arabic in progress

translation to arabic in progress

Postby elnasher on Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:44 pm

Dear all ...
i'm working on translating plog to arabic and hope i can find some help in changing it to rtl language to fix the errors which might occur
i've finished about 25% from locale file depending on en_UK file and want to know what else i have to do in the future

regards

Mohamed Fouad

http://www.elnasher.com - soon after finishing translation -

elnasher means the publisher
elnasher

Postby phunkphorce on Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:49 am

WAIT!! There's already an arabic translation (it's actually a Farsi translation but unless my own stupidity is betraying me... Farsi is the same as Arabic right? :roll:)

Can you take a look at this:

http://bugs.lifetype.net/view.php?id=563

The guys from ixrblog.com did a great job and now we've got a farsi locale, rtl templates for the admin and summary, and a modified version of htmlarea that allows for rlt writing including farsi characters.

We are still waiting for the rtl versions of the basic templates ('grey','blueish' and 'standard') but they've promised they'll help us.

You could help us for example by downloading this file: http://bugs.lifetype.net/file_download ... 1&type=bug and unzipping it in the plog root folder. It inculdes the locale file, template changes, stylesheets and htmlarea. In order to activate the new locale, go to administration->locales->scan new locales.

Thanks a lot, I am really excited about getting proper support for farsi/arabic in plog! ;)
phunkphorce
Lifetype Expert

arabic not farsi

Postby elnasher on Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:51 pm

Dear phunkphorce
arabic language is tottaly differs from farsi one .. even i don't know any word in it
but ... it could be so helpful to get the modifications they have done
and hope i can get help to make the plog suitable for arabic character
and about the tamplates i think it really doesn't matter alot in translation now , maybe after finishing the main translation
is it onlt to translate the locale file or to do something else ?

elnasher.com
elnasher

Postby phunkphorce on Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:20 am

Sorry about my stupidity, I suppose I should have read up on arabic languages before making a fool of myself :oops:

Anyway, in your case you should start by creating the locale file. You will probably need changes to the CSS files used by the templates, so that all the text is correctly displayed from right to left. The good thing is that the ixrblog.com guys have already done it for us, so I think we can reuse their admin-rtl.css and summary-rtl.css. Once they send us their CSS versions for the public template sets, I am sure those will also work fine too.

I am not sure if you were also thinking about getting htmlarea to work with arabic but if so, their changes might be a good place to start.

Please let us know if you need any help!
phunkphorce
Lifetype Expert

hope they can be faster

Postby elnasher on Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:09 pm

Dear phunkphorce
it's ok and not stupidity from you to not know the differences between arabic and farsi languages
but only hope they put their files so soon as i will be waiting and translating the locale file
elnasher

Postby phunkphorce on Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:42 am

You could start by working on translating the admin and the summary pages, for those we already have the css files. Just get this package:

http://bugs.lifetype.net/file_download ... 1&type=bug

and unzip it in the root folder of plog if you haven't done it yet. If your locale is marked as 'rtl', plog will use admin-rtl.css and summary-rtl.css instead of the normal version and at that point it is ready to be translated.

In the meantime, I will ask the ixrblog.com guys to hurry a bit with the modified rtl templates for the public templates.
phunkphorce
Lifetype Expert

thank you

Postby elnasher on Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:00 pm

thank you phunkphorce for help
i will wait for them too
thank you again
Mohamed Fouad
elnasher

help needed so urgent

Postby elnasher on Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:28 am

i need your help to guide me in the steps needed to complete my translation to arabic
i'm about to finish locale file
i need now to know the other steps needed to finish my work ?
and also in summary page and modifying its tamplate
:( :oops:
i know i'm asking alot but i really need your help if you able to
regards
elnasher.com
elnasher

Postby phunkphorce on Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:57 am

Have you already seen this file?

http://bugs.lifetype.net/file_download ... 1&type=bug

Download it and unzip it in your plog root folder. It will overwrite a lot of things in the class/, styles/, locale/, etc folder but that's ok.

This patch includes two stylesheets: admin-rtl.css and summary-rtl.css. These two files will be used instead of admin.css and summary.css whenever the current locale is marked as "rtl". These stylesheets were developed by the guys at ixrblog.com for Farsi, but I think that the end result will also be the same for Arabic too.

Once the locale is ready, the only thing left to do is test how it looks like using the stylesheets above :) Then the next logical step would be to test the default templates when using a rtl locale and I will ask the ixrblogs.com guys if they could send us their stylesheets, since they've already modified them!
phunkphorce
Lifetype Expert

thank you

Postby elnasher on Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:15 am

i really forgot to download this file
sorry phunkphorce :oops:
i will look at them and tell you about the results on friday
hope every thing will go ok
regards
elnasher

Postby phunkphorce on Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:19 am

Please keep us updated, and let us know if you have any more problems! ;)
phunkphorce
Lifetype Expert

Postby phunkphorce on Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:31 am

how is the translation going? I'd like to include the r-t-l improvements in plog 1.0.2 soon...
phunkphorce
Lifetype Expert

Postby tumbak on Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:40 am

Hi all,
We want to create an arabic locale for plog but since our friend here has already started working on it we were wondering how we can help, we need this done ASAP and we are welling to put any amount of effort into this.

I will be contacting him by email to coordinate our efforts.

with regards
tumbak

Postby phunkphorce on Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:16 am

Please let us know if you can reach him, I'd be interested in the locale too (for plog 1.0.2)
phunkphorce
Lifetype Expert

Any progress, news on this?

Postby HU55EIN on Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:18 pm

Hi all, I have a need for the Arabic language translation as well.
I'm new to this blogging application and still looking around and fiddling with it. It would be great if elnasher or tumbak post whatever they have completed so far, so as not to start from scratch. I would be happy to finish whatever is left and make it available to everyone here.

Another question, could this blogging system be bi/multi-lingual?
I don't care about the overall admin side of things, since I will be administrating it, but can the public and user admin (of their own blogs) interface be easily switched between two languages?

elnasher website does not seem to be online, I hope he didn't get discouraged and gave up.

Thank you
HU55EIN

Next

Return to Localization