Multi-language plog

Multi-language plog

Postby myung on Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:33 pm

I wanted to create a blog to support multiple sections (blogs) that each supports different language - English, Tradtional Chinese and Simplified Chinese.

I found that the best way is to have the web site display UTF-8. But to do this will require making the default blog Traditional or Simplified Chinese since the default English locale does not use UTF-8.

So what I did was copy the locale_en_uk file to locale_en_us, and change the default locale in the new file to UTF-8 - i.e. effectively an English locale with UTF-8 display. Then load it to the admin, and set this locale as default.

Not sure whether this "trick" is stupid, but hope it useful to some of you.

Cheers,
Michael
myung

Postby phunkphorce on Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:40 pm

yes, that's indeed the best way to do it :)

I have to admit that it was a bit of a mistake not to go with utf-8 since the very beginning, but now it's already a bit too late for switching back to utf-8 since thousands of users already have their data stored in their databases in encodings like iso-8859-x. Converting those to utf-8 would be way too painful...
phunkphorce
Lifetype Expert

Postby kral on Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:06 pm

phunkphorce wrote:yes, that's indeed the best way to do it :)

I have to admit that it was a bit of a mistake not to go with utf-8 since the very beginning, but now it's already a bit too late for switching back to utf-8 since thousands of users already have their data stored in their databases in encodings like iso-8859-x. Converting those to utf-8 would be way too painful...

If we provde a tool to do the conversion, then it will be ok. User can decide if he/she needs a conversion.
kral

Postby phunkphorce on Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:53 pm

I'm sorry, I won't go through the hassle of upgrading people to utf-8. Besides, we've got some hacks in the code to deal with different encodings and I am not willing to go that way...
phunkphorce
Lifetype Expert

Postby gehenom on Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:47 am

I have looked in to the issue, and I managed to find out that if you select UTF-8 for your encoding you will loose alot of data, the idea of the tool also sounds good, but I just cant see thousands of users downloading the tool and using it considering that some users even had problems installing pLog, so consider that, I believe it will be best to put all power to the development of pLog 1.0.

Just my toughts.
gehenom

Postby dc_explorer on Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:52 am

hi, i'm a new to LT. I'm very much interested in doing the same, supporting both English and Chinese locale. However, I'm not very much a technical person, and would appreciate if you can explain further on how can I 'copy' the en_uk local to en_us locale and default it to show UTF-8. thank you.
dc_explorer

Postby jondaley on Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:16 am

I don't understand your question, but we now are planning to go to UTF-8 for all locales. I forget which release that is supposed to be, probably 2.0.
jondaley
Lifetype Expert

LifeType Version: 1.2.11 devel branch

Return to Localization